14781: Re: 14773: Burnham and solar cookers (fwd)

From: dianayiti <dianayiti@hainet.net>

the special type of BAG is nothing but those plastic oven cooking bags sold
to cook turkeys in  (maybe made by Reyolds)  this is a clear, plastic bag
NOT an aluminum one.  aluminum would not work as it does not permit the suns
rays to pass through.  another key to making solar cooking work is to use
BLACK cooking pots/pans (such as graniteware)  I have found these in Haiti
from time to time.  places to check for these are: (in Port au Prince)
Caribbean Supermarket (Delmas 95), ServiMat, Eagle supermarket (Delmas
83---"upstairs"), and at the Free Methodist bookstore on lower Delmas.

I made a homemade solar OVEN using locally found materials---cardboard
boxes, piece of clear glass, a sheet of flat iron, etc.   there are
instructions on the internet I am told for one like this.  I got my
instructions from a short seminar on solar cooking in Haiti I attended a few
years ago.  it is helpful to have an oven thermometer for this kind of solar
oven.  if anyone would like more details about how I made it, write me
directly   dianadawn@hainet.net
I used it a lot when I lived on the Central Plateau.
the simple solar cookers are even easier to construct.