14802: A recent trip to Haiti

From: Jetphire@aol.com

Dear Bob,
I'm back from Haiti and would love it if I could be reinstated to your list.

We had a fantastic time for the most part. Although everyone we asked said
that the economy is a mess and very bad for individuals ($1 US dollar now =
$8 H), and the gas crisis is really hurting drivers and those that use taptap
transport and taxis (actually everyone!), there were many positive signs
around the country. The Delmas 33 Road is finished and is a great help-not
just with turnouts for taptaps, but is an alternative to the Airport and
Croix de Bouquets and other areas. There were many folks out sweeping streets
around neighborhoods and businesses and so many places looked really clean,
the Carrefoure area road is still a mess, but I hear they're building another
that goes around that (but who know when that will be done). Downtown areas
are looking pretty wonderful and on Kanaval Sundays folks were out enjoying
themselves en masse.

The Jacmel Road is still in fantastic shape and the City itself is just the be
st. There is electricity 24/7, lots of places to eat and walk, the beaches
were beautiful, and the art scene is amazing. They're fixing the square up
top so it's surrounded by fencing, but it should be done for 2004. Kanaval
prep is in full gear and we were there enjoying the masks and costumes and
craziness two Sundays ago. We travelled to Basinbleu, way out on the beach
road, and all over town and everyone was generous and helpful and the food
was delicious (especially the fresh lambi bar-b-qed on the beach and the
fried fish and coconuts). The fruit stands are full of color and the mangoes
are starting to appear. Up north to the beach from PauP, the road is a bit
potholed and there's lots of big trucks, but some stretches are quite good.
We were there for strikes, but they were uneventful and mostly the schools
and businesses were closed, but the kids worked or played and there were
still a few taxis out. Our flights in and out were packed with delegations
who are still travelling to Haiti en force. We ran into some very heavy
traffic jams out in La Plaine (sp?) due to the ban on big trucks driving from
4-6 pm-it was totally crazy, but after an hour streets thinned out.
Of course there are still many heartaches-we saw lots of kids I worked with
at Lafanmi Selavi and 1/2 were going to school and doing okay while others
were squatting in houses, living with friends and not attending school, and
out daily looking for work they believe they will never find. All of the
difficulties and miseries are still quite alive in PauP, but I wanted to
mention  that there are still some positive things happening too.
The government of course is in crisis, but many aspects are moving forward
(CEP put together on 2/7 for elections). It's not an easy situation to say
the least.

I come back to the US still feeling very hopeful about Haiti, but I don't
live there everyday.  So many that do need our help and hope and resources.
Anyway, that's the little update from Jen. Best to you Bob!