14914: Dorce: Re: 14862:Digo: Reply to Dorce (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 2/18/03 5:33:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, [iso-8859-1]
Digo" <gdigosse@yahoo.fr writes:

<< It seems to me you are focusing too much on the anecdotal stereotypes of
 the Haitian society. I do not want to dwell on that point since I do not
 believe this is the proper forum to address this issue. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What is the proper forum to address this issue?  And I made my own
observations of these classes, it's not my fault they fit the stereotype so
consistently.  I think a great idea when things calm down in Haiti is for a
theatrical group to put on a series of plays, farces, to make fun of these
traits so that they do not seem so attractive to the people anymore.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>One of these principles is freedom of expression. However, you discard
Jean-Claude Bajeux as one of ^these people who are trying to figure out how
they can control things and take power without having to be elected^  just
because you don^t agree with his views on the actual situation in Haiti.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No, it's not because I don't agree with his views unless you consider his
views to be the overthrow of the elected government.  That is my problem.
Why is it they want to do it the shortcut way?  There is no shortcut to
democracy.  It's messy, painful, inelegant and takes a long time of
transition before it looks as it should.  An "intellectual" should know this
and support it no matter how difficult the road is.  I do not see anything
positive coming out of this group except verbosity and posturing.  Blah Blah
Blah.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>By the way, Ms. Dorce, I don^t know when and where it begins. It seems to
me that Intellectual and Intellectualism (your word) are becoming dirty words
in the Haitian lexicon. These words are being used by many as some kind of
insult and they are soaked with contempt, disdain and disgust for a whole
category of Haitians.>>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If I sound disdainful and contemptuous of this whole category of Haitian it
is well earned.  I do not see them putting Haiti first.  I see them with
their inflated egos and flowery speeches posturing and sounding elegant while
saying and doing nothing of any positive consequence.  I did not give them
the sobriquet "intellectual."  They did.  They are proud to be such.  I am
just pointing out that the emperor is wearing no clothes!  Shame on me??  No,
madam, shame on them.  Let them show us how they mean to run for office and
on what platform they will run.  Let them show us their plans for fixing the
infrastructure and providing public education.  Or are they hoping the IRI
will tell them what to do when the time comes?  Ok, enough contempt and
disdain.  I'll stop.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>Should these Haitian ^Intellectuals^ be sent to a camp for
re-education and how can they be identified or separated from the rest of
us?>>
I think it's not important to identify them or re-educate them.....they know
who they are (they call themselves intellectuals!) and are way educated now.
I would hope they would develop character and conscience and work with the
elected government to make positive changes in Haiti.  I'm not in favor of
separation; that is what is going on now.  I favor everyone contributing to a
common goal.

Kathy Dorce~