14912: Dorce: Re: 14840: Burnham replies to Grey Re: la vie che (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 2/16/03 3:53:54 AM Pacific Standard Time, thor burnham
<thorald_mb@hotmail.com>writes:
Grey:
<< "Reports I've heard from Port-au-Prince say that you can't dare say, "My
God
 things are expensive" in public, you don't dare utter the words "lavi cher".
   If you do, you get a beating. From whom?  I don't know, and I am not sure
 if this is true or not, but enough people say so."

 Burnham:
 Kathy, your reports are correct. Indeed, i've been warned on six different
 occassions and by people from every socio-economic class to be very, very
 careful as to what i say. "La vi che" is, i'm told, code for "this really
 bites"...(my translation of course)...
 i've had examples cited from Laville, Rue fre and Carrefour as to the
 consequences of said statement....people are said to be beaten in and around
 the stomach area....the message being obvious.... >>
Although I trust that both of you posters are telling us this message in good
faith, I wonder that all of your information is hearsay.  I would be more
inclined to take it seriously if the news wasn't secondhand.  "Reports I've
heard...", "I've had examples cited from....", "My friend saw...", "But I
have all these people telling me....."

Kathy Dorce~