14969: Burnham: Kanaval and roger rabbit (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

>From Thor Burnham in the Republic of Port-au-Prince:

Things are heating up for Carnival. Last night after talking to a couple of
wide-eyed peace corp workers in town from the D.R. (they were staying at the
Olofsson (sp) and were intrigued by the festivities) I took a quick tour
through Champ Mars. The building of the stands is going on at a rapid pace
and you can feel the building sense of tension and expectation. At least i
can. Or it might be the fact that I was right behind a tap-tap spewing
deisel exhaust. You know the ones that leave a film of exhaust on your car
and face. Alas, i have no freeze so i got the diesel facial. I might have
been high on diesel fumes.

Bottom line is it looks like its going to be a big party. Already there are
a visible number of Djyasporas in town. Yesterday afternoon on Lalue I had a
young Haitian american call me a "cracker". I responded with a "what do you
want, Djaspora?" He laughed and then a few moments later caught up to me in
traffic and offered me what he thought would be 1st class ganja. When i told
him I was from Canada he asked ME for some. Unfortunately for me i didn't
have any. And i just want the list to know for the record--in the words of
Canadian Politician Allan Rock--that i have never smoked marijuana for
medicinal purposes.

The school just up from the cyber cafe i'm at this morning has been playing
the carnival songs over and over again. I noticed yesterday afternoon on
lalue a number of schools had the sound systems blaring. the students are
gearing up. does it mean anything? probably not.

My informal polling gives the group Kriz--they sing the "kale" song--a
slight lead in popularlity over Boukman. Don't worry Dorce, i never said i
worked for Gallup.

Kanaval rumours i've heard. I repeat, rumours. Not even informal polling.
Generally these come up when people ask me if i'm going to go shake my heiny
on Sunday.
#1. the group that sings "kale" is in hiding.
#2. the group that sings "kale" is not in hiding.
#3. the same group is being asked to go on a float by the private
     sector and will definitely "sorti".
#4. Boukman may not get a float, and if they do, it will be provided
     by the private sector. but they might not get a sponsor at all.
#5. Sweet Mickey is boycotting.
#6. A bunch of large companies would boycott, but have been
     threatened. by who i simply can't imagine.

the weekly entertainment paper "Ticket" [no. 17 27 fevrier 2003]
lists the selected bandes, or Bandes selectionnees [my apologies for
omitting appropriate accents]. These are the 15 bands chosen on Sunday, the
16 of February by a 7 member jury under the direction of the Commission
Nationale Provisioure du Carnaval 2003. These 15 were chosen out of a total
of 310 entries.
They are:
1. Soul Rasta
2. Relax Band