14996: Hermantin: Sun-Sentinel-Back to the bolero (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Back to the bolero
By Marcia Freidenreich
Special Correspondent

March 2, 2003

For many in the ballroom, the Haitian Senior Dance was a chance to dance a
bolero again.

A popular dance in Haiti, the bolero has the dancing couple holding each
other close and performing steps similar to those of the tango. About a
dozen couples participated in a bolero contest, organized as part of the
dance that last month drew 200 to 300 people to the Millennium Ballroom in
Hallandale Beach.

Francois Jacques, dance teacher and ballroom owner, thinks the event was
much needed.

"We have many dances and events for younger people, but this was the first
one for Haitian seniors," he said. "I've always had in mind to do something
like this to improve their social lives. This has been a great success."

The free dance, open to age 55 and older, was organized through the efforts
of Miramar Mayor Lori Moseley and Miami-Dade County Mayor Alex Penelas,
working with Emeline Alexis, the Haitian community liaison director for
Miami-Dade County.

"There are many Haitian seniors living in South Florida that have been here
for 20 years or more, devoting all of their time, energy and money to
raising their children and grandchildren," said Alexis, who works out of
Penelas' office and helped emcee the event. "Many times the only outing
these people have is to go to church on Sunday. We wanted to give them a
chance to dress up [and] get out ... "

Transportation to the event was provided from St. Bartholomew Catholic
Church in Miramar and two sites in Miami.

Gentlemen in tuxes and ladies in glittering ball gowns or suits with
matching hats and heels graced the dance floor in abundance. Besides the
dance contest, the crowd sampled Haitian-style food and enjoyed live acts.
Jacques and other professional dancers performed an original dance, Cabaret
Creole, that was created by Jacques.

The turnout was so impressive that Jacques and Alexis are discussing the
possibility of planning a monthly dance for seniors at the ballroom.

Daniel Gautier, of Sunrise, said this type of event brings the community
together. He and his wife, Paula, attended with a friend.

"It's great to have an event like this," he said. "Sometimes there is a
disparity in the Haitian community. People move here from Haiti and then
scatter all over South Florida. You could be living two houses down from
your childhood best friend and not even know it."

Moseley, who enjoyed doing a few rounds of the bolero, explained her
motivation in helping plan the dance.

"I've been mayor of Miramar for four years now, [and] there are probably
5,000 to 6,000 people from Haiti living in Miramar, out of about 88,000
residents. I'm constantly learning more and more about their community and
culture. I thought it was important to reach out to them in this way," she
said.

Added Alexis: "Dance, music and eating are the universal language, no matter
what culture you come from."