15036: Peter Dailey replies to Thor Burnham

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

Thor Burnham has taken me to task  for incorrectly having referred to the
painter Edzer Pierre as a "Fanmi Lavalas militant." Given that "Fanmi
Lavalas
militant" has come to be virtually synonymous with "chimere" or "thug" I
would
regret this very much had I in fact done so. Daniel Simidor posted this
passage
in #14954 and if you check it you will see that that the words I used to
describe Mr. Pierre were "former FL activist." Robert Fatton, who quotes
Edzer
Pierre as well, identifies him as a "former Lavalas militant." Michael
Deibert,
on whom both Fatton and I relied and in whose article these quotes
originally
appeared, states that Pierre is a "former activist." "Fanmi Lavalas
Militant"
"former FL activist" "former Lavalas militant" "former activist": the
distinctions between these terms are of the sort that a New York editor
might
easily be insensible of but which people on the Corbett list will quickly
appreciate.