15046: Vishnusurf: Re: 15022: Matt Jay: Re: 15012: Hermantin on Little Haiti: REVISED (fwd)

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

Since Matt Jay claims that he does not understand why Ms. Hermantan took his
post as a slight of Little Haiti, let me try filling him in:

Ms. Hermantin was not alone in taking some measure of offense to your post,
Matt Jay, as I also found it somewhat outrageous.  In American English, the
rhetorical or even perogative question "Why would you want to go there?"
obviously can be taken to cast aspersions on the place in question.  People
in Little Haiti have heard enough of that over the years, I am sure. i do
alot of work in little Haiti and i have had a number of haitians in kendall
and pinecrest (and even some upper class haitians in haiti!) tell me that i
am "crazy" to go to such a "bidonville". in reality, the place is full of
wonder.  anyone who is interested in haiti should visit little haiti, which
is one of miami's most colourful neighbourhoods and perhaps the heart of the
Haitian diaspora.