15146: Hermantin-Sun Sentinel-Haitian Cops Especially Devastated (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Sun Sentinel

Haitian Cops Especially Devastated

By Merle English
Staff Writer
Posted March 12 2003, 11:03 PM EST

Haitian colleagues of Det. James Nemorin grappled Wednesday with the
emotions that come from losing one from their ranks who was also a
compatriot.

"As a police officer, it was tragic for me. The fact he's from Haiti like
myself, that hit home a little more," said Herve Guiteau, 45, president of
the Haitian American Law Enforcement Fraternal Organization of which Nemorin
was a member.

Nemorin died Monday, at the hands of suspected gun dealers he was
investigating undercover.

"I've been getting quite a number of calls from our members," said Guiteau.
"A lot of them were friendly with him. He played soccer on the PBA
[Patrolmen's Benevolent Association] team. I guess in anything like that you
look for support."

The Haitian group, known as HALEFO, includes about 150 police officers,
court officers, corrections officers and immigration officers from around
the country. Members from as far away as Boston and Miami "are talking about
coming for the funeral," said Guiteau.

"He will get an inspector's funeral, with pipes and drums," said Guiteau,
who planned to visit Nemorin's family in Baldwin Harbor last night. He was
probably the first Haitian-American police officer to die in the line of
duty, Guiteau said.

Guiteau urged New Yorkers to help police in the battle against guns, as a
way of making some good come from a tragic event.

"If anyone knows someone selling guns," Guiteau said, "contact the police.
Investigation will be made and they will be able to help the whole
community."

  Email story
  Print story

MORE HEADLINES

Speak honestly about wreckage we'll cause

Finding may help screen for cancer

Bar code links patient, drug

In India, cows can mix with politics

Bomb on train kills 10 in Bombay