15152: Mason: CBC Radio Did Beautiful Job on Haitian Creole in Montreal Program! (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

I have just listened to the archived version of the CBC Radio Program
(Friday, March 14th, at 11:30 AM on CBC Radio One), highlighting Haitian
Creole in Montreal and it was not only of the highest quality, but it was
full of pleasant surprises!

- Lots of spoken and sung Haitian Creole!

- In addition to interaction with the listed guests (Pierre-Roland Bain, Luck
Mervil and Judith Laventiere), there was an in-depth interview with Albert
Valdman, who was in Florida at the time! One question (just to whet your
appetite!): Why do you love Haitian Creole? You will be pleased with the
practical, down-to-earth responses Professor Valdman gives to all of the
questions posed to him.

After listening, I think you will agree with me that the Producer David
Gutnick and the Guest Host Jeanette Kelly did their homework ahead-of-time
(thanks to fellow Corbetters Guy S. Antoine and Marilyn Mason for providing
the background contact information to CBC)! And they wore their hearts on
their sleeves, as it was most evident to me from their broadcast
demeanor/voices/intonation that the purpose for this program having been
produced in the first place was to lift Creole within the Canadian context,
not disrespect the mother tongue of Haitians.

Listen for yourself.

The URL for now (because this is the series' most recent program) is:

http://radio.cbc.ca/programs/cestlavie/audio/latest-clv.ram

I fully suspect that the URL will change once another program earns that
title. In that event, I'll alert this forum to the longer-term URL.

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
The Creole Clearinghouse
P.O. Box 181015