15198: Cooke: Re: 15180: Burnham: coconuts and coconut trees (fwd)

From: Kevin Cooke <kcooke@fiam.net>

Here in the US there is a growing industry based on the conversion of
vegetable oil to bio-diesel fuel which can be used in any diesel engine.  A
suitable source of vegetable oil for this process could be the planting of
oil palm trees in Haiti.  The problems solved would be many:  A viable
home-grown industry could provide work for Haitians.  The production of
bio-diesel would decrease the amount of fuel imported to Haiti.  The
cleaner-burning fuel would not add appreciably to the pollution problems
around Port-au-Prince.  Reforestation would stabilize soils.  Extra oil
could be exported for badly needed funds. And a very positive story could
come out of Haiti.

Kevin M. Cooke
Pure Water Haiti, Inc.
145-B Brittany Manor Drive