15242: Karshan: President Aristide's speech re: 1987 Constitution (English) (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Speech by His Excellency Jean-Bertrand Aristide, President of the Republic of
Haiti,
during his visit to the Corps d'intervention et de maintien de l'ordre
(CIMO) (Anti-Riot Unit of Haiti's National Police force) on March 28, 2003 to
commemorate the 16th anniversary of Haiti's 1987 Constitution that was voted
in by the Haitian people through a democratic vote on March 29, 1987

You are happy to welcome me and I am happy to see you. That's why, together
with the Prime Minister and the Government, I give you all a patriotic
embrace on the eve of the anniversary of our Constitution, March 29th.

I am very happy to come and visit you here together with the Secretary of
State, Mr. Dubreuil, and the new Director General of the National Police,
Mr. Jean-Claude Jean-Baptiste, and all the new members of the higher
command.

We are also happy that many departmental directors are with us. Authorities
are present under the light of the highest authority which is our
Constitution, the Constitution of Haiti. Tomorrow, the entire country will
have the occasion to think about the Constitution. While I was thinking
about the Constitution myself, I thought why not make a surprise visit here.
There are many reasons to do so. Like Commandant Bleck just said, my visit
is also to encourage the policemen, especially given the recent events. Some
of you have gone away. This is a patriotic serum so you can continue to be as
one, continue to protect and serve. I also came here because, for a long
time, this place meant death. And since democracy has been arrived, together
with the Police, it represents life. When this
place was Research Criminal, when it was filled with torturers who were
killing people during the years of dictatorship and army rule in Haiti, it
represented death.

Thanks to the 1987 Constitution which brought life and the creation of the
police force, today we are in a place that means life and not death. I am
proud of that because it is our responsibility to protect life, to guarantee
life for everyone without distinction.

I am reminded of a crime that was perpetrated here, when they killed Eddy
Volel's brother, Yves Volel. We cannot forget that crime because the army of
Haiti, which was supposed to protect life, brought death instead. Yves is
dead and the guilty parties haven't been arrested yet but fortunately,
policemen are here to give life, to protect life.

I congratulate all policemen who are doing their job as required by the
Constitution. I encourage all policemen across the country who don't always
have all the means they need to accomplish a lot of work but who find great
patriotic energy to protect life.

Congratulations to all of you, policemen, policewomen who accomplish the
work the Constitution asks for, to protect and to serve.

When CIMO does restore order, some people will for sure be worried while
others will be happy. Usually, people who don't like things to be in order
will be worried. Zenglendos will certainly be worried.

Criminals will also be worried. Whether they are zenglendos or criminals,
they bring death, they bring disorder. And CIMO is there to maintain order,
to protect life. It makes people happy when they see CIMO reinstating order
where disorder prevails. CIMO and the police force have the same
responsibility: to protect and to serve.

Allow me to remind the entire nation about what the Constitution is about
and why there is a Constitution. Then I will remind the police institution
about its responsibilities.

The first page of the Constitution explains why we have the 1987
Constitution, and I read:

"The Haitian people proclaim this Constitution to guarantee its inalienable
and undeniable rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."

Further down, it is stated:

"The Haitian people proclaim this Constitution to implement democracy, which
entails ideological pluralism and political alternation, and to affirm the
inalienable rights of the Haitian people.

To strengthen national unity through eradicating discrimination between
urban and rural populations.

To ensure the separation and harmonious distribution of state powers in the
interest of  national and fundamental priorities."

It is our very responsibility, as a people, to let us be guided by the
Constitution, in order to build a state of law, and to promote harmony
between all and everyone.

About the police force, Article 269.1 provides that it is established for
the purpose of guaranteeing public order and the protection of human life and
property rights of all citizens.

Further down, Article 273 reminds all policemen and policewomen that the
police duty, as an auxiliary to justice, is to look for violations of the
law,
misdemeanors and crimes, so as to find and arrest their authors.

All the accomplices in the murder of Yves Volel haven't been arrested yet.
We hope that work will continue to be done in order to find all people who
commit crimes, thanks to the police and justice auxiliaries.

We are happy to see that a good step was made with the ordinance issued
regarding the assassination of Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint.
For some people it is a good step forward, for others, it is a weak
ordinance.
Even though I think it has some weaknesses, I believe there are now more
possibilities to continue a good investigation.  I seize the opportunity
to encourage the victims' families, like Mrs. Michelle Montas, who are
thinking of appealing.  And with regard to all other victims, the State, in
full respect of judicial power, the Parliament, and in particular the Head of
State, will continue to
fulfill their duty in accompanying those who want to go ahead and appeal
because they find that the ordinance is too weak. It is your right to
do so and there must be security for all the victims who continue to look
for justice according to the law. Your suffering is my suffering and
when there is justice, our suffering is less.

Parents of policemen who were killed, you must believe that the guilty
parties will be arrested before long. Your suffering is my suffering and it
is the Executive's suffering too. On the eve of the commemoration of the
1987 Constitution, it is our obligation to work closely together in order to
advance towards justice, to encourage all those who are brave people, who
respect the
law and who enforce the law.

Of course, while we accomplish that work, no pressure must be put on the
judicial authorities. And I want to take this opportunity to encourage and
congratulate all citizens who know their duty and don't put pressure on the
judicial authorities.

Whether it is people working for the State, people in the minority private
sector or the majority private sector, people in the minority or majority
civil society, Haitians living in the city or in the countryside, nobody has
the
right to put any pressure on any judge or any magistrate, who to give
justice, with his spirit and conscience will permit the law to guide him to
perform his work.

At the same time, there are many commissions we put together with the OAS to
permit the professionalization of the Police, which is an auxiliary to
justice, so it can go faster.  I
ask all policemen to work together with these commissions in order to
professionalize the entire police force.

Today, I am very happy to congratulate this police force that does
extraordinary work with so little means.

We just celebrated Carnival for three days. Almost 3 million people
were dancing in the streets and not one person was killed. That proves that
when the police and the people work together, we can work wonders, because we
are a great people. The carnival is one of those wonders.  In that same state
of mind, I ask the population to give the police all the information it
needs to make their work easier in looking for criminals, for zenglendos.
All good information can help the police.

Also, when there is a smear campaign going on because some people don't want
the institutions to continue to do good work, you must not let it get to
your head.

A new director was just named at the head of the Police and although many
people are happy, some people have already started to set up false files in
order to make allegations.  Before I invited Mr. Jean-Claude Jean-Baptiste to
come to work in the presidency, and then he became a member of my private
cabinet, I had asked the advice of one of the most serious persons in the
country, Father Franklin Armand. He is the founder of the community of the
Sisters and Brothers of Incarnation who are working in Hinche.

I am happy that a serious person such as Brother Armand had a serious person
like
him close to him and that he gave me good advice. He didn't advise me to put
Jean-Claude Jean-Baptiste as the head of the police, but I am happy that he
recommended a serious person while I was looking for someone serious to help
us continue the good work.

When there is misinformation, false dossiers, we need to keep our heads
clear,
calm to look for the right information to continue to do good work.

There will be elections soon. The Constitution requires that elections be
held in order to strengthen democratic institutions. That means that we will
need the police to help with the work being done here. My presence here is
also part of the vision that will lead us to elections. People who are in
prison should not be there 49 hours before they see a judge. So, while
judicial authorities respect what the law requires, 48 hours, police
authorities hope that when they arrest somebody, there won't be too much
time before that person can see a judge. But at the same time, while the
police take risks in arresting criminals, there must be no corruption that
can free those criminals and put the police at even  more risk.

When everyone takes their responsibilities in respecting the Constitution, in
respecting the law, the right conditions will be there to organize good
elections that must be free, honest and democratic.

In this sense, there is effectively a force that can is bothering us along
the way. It is the force of drugs. People who make dirty money with drugs can
turn into a mafia to
keep the police from doing good work. Let's continue to work as one, under
the light of the Constitution, to fight drug trafficking, because elections,
democracy, security, peace, don't go together with bad things. We will do
what
is good.

In order to have elections, we must continue to work to respect what Article
28 of the Constitution stipulates.

In this regard, Article 28 of the Constitution says that all Haitians have
the right to freely express their opinions on any matter they choose.

Article 28.1 provides that journalists may conduct their work freely within
the frame of the law.

I ask the police to continue to respect these articles while they accompany
the press, the journalists. I encourage the journalists to keep telling the
truth so that their work gets better every day.

That's the respect we need, respect of everyone's rights, respect for
journalists, respect for all organizations that have the right to speak up
without telling lies, respect for everyone, every organization to speak up
without fear.

I will remind you what Article 31 of our Constitution is about.

Indeed, I read for you Article 31 of the Constitution:

"Freedom to associate and congregate without weapons, for political,
economic, social and cultural purposes or for every other peaceful ends, is
guaranteed."  (article 31.1).

Political parties and groups participate and express themselves through the
vote.
They may form and conduct their activities freely.  They must respect
the principles of national sovereignty and democracy (article 31.2).  The
holding of meetings in public areas has to be communicated beforehand to
police authorities.

Many times it is difficult for the police to do their work well when
organizations have activities without advising the police first. According to
the
Constitution, the police must be advised first.

After advising the police, the Constitution asks  that you do all you can
do to help, like I just said. If the police know where the demonstration
will start, which path it will follow and where it will end, then its work
is much easier, the demonstration can be peaceful and the police can give
more security.

Two groups cannot demonstrate at the same time, at the same place. That
could create chaos. It is the police's obligation to avoid such chaos.
That's why I encourage all groups, all associations to continue enjoying
your right to demonstrate peacefully whenever you want, but always in
accordance to the law. Let the police know which road you will take. And the
police will respect your rights while you respect the police's rights so
that together we can create better conditions in a nicer climate in order to
organize good elections that will be free, honest and democratic. As you can
see, everything the Constitution requires of us becomes a light for us.

When that becomes a light to guide us, then policemen will feel proud
because they will feel that they are part of a corps that understands them,
part of a society that understands them. And the society will also be proud
because it will see and feel that there is a corps (the police corps) that
is there to protect and to serve the people. If you look closely, you will
see that with the exception of the Director General of the Police who is bald
and has a white beard (which means that he is a bit older. I didn't say much
older, but a little bit older), all other leaders are young. They are the
future. The future is yours, young people. So it is in our interest to
encourage everyone in the country to work together with the police to
prepare the path that will lead us to elections, which must take place in
2003.

Tomorrow, as we think about the Constitution, remember that it is a light
that must guide us on the path towards the elections that must be organized
in 2003. And remember Toussaint Louverture, whom we will honor this coming
April 7th, because he is the first person to set in place the 1801
Constitution. And so, in the name of Toussaint Louverture, thinking about
him, the 1987 Constitution asks us to make all the efforts, all the
sacrifices possible as brothers and sisters, in order to go through this
moment that will lead us to elections. The Constitution already states the
rules of the game for all political parties. Whether it is Fanmi Lavalas, or
political parties in the Opposition, we are all brothers and we have the
obligation to try to get closer to each other so that we can prepare
elections together.

The Constitution will also be a light to guide people who are not members of
a political party in giving their contribution. On the eve of the
anniversary of our Constitution, once again I ask the entire nation to be as
one, to strengthen our institutions, to encourage the young people who are
in the police and those who are not, to give them good examples of civilized
people. Then, if a Haitian is discouraged, he or she will find thousands of
Haitians to encourage him or her. If a Haitian loses hope, he or she will
find thousands of Haitians to give him or her hope. Because of the embargo
that makes life so much more expensive, because of the embargo that makes
people spend twice as much money to feed their children or to buy
medication, to pay the rent or to send their children to school, our
responsibility to be united and to follow what the Constitution asks in
order to have good elections and to move faster on the path of development,
is twice as important. The embargo must end in order for the cost of living
to go down. Elections must be organized and well organized in order for all
democratic institutions to get the results of those elections. That's what
the Constitution asks.

I will end with the reading in Creole of what I already read in French, the
declaration on the first page of the Constitution. Since I am in CIMO, I
will ask CIMO to continue to show how you can put order while I will
continue to embrace you patriotically and congratulate you for the great
work you will continue to accomplish further ahead. As for all other
specialized units, all policemen, from the first agent to the Director
General, the country is counting on you. The nation needs you, foreign
observers are watching you. So, on the eve of the anniversary of our
Constitution, we renew our patriotic will to follow what the Constitution
asks us to do. I am counting on you. I know you can do it. You have kept the
country on track through all the difficulties that could of set it off
track, such as poverty, hunger (planned poverty, planned hunger), and
throughout the embargo. That means you have worked miracles and you can work
more miracles still. When someone is discouraged, he or she must look at
what has been done in the country in the last two years that kept the
country from exploding despite all the blows it took. All of you young
people,
the police, and all citizens, you can work miracles.

Once more, on the eve of celebrating the birth of our Constitution, I am full
of joy to be in your company, I am proud to be a Haitian, for we have
demonstrated in the last two years how we can perform miracles through
patriotism and using our human resources.  May the nation keep in mind these
forces that guide us.

Let the whole nation reach for the source of these resources: cultural
resources, patriotic resources, human resources, constitutional resources, to
continue orientating our future as a people, as a free people who will never
kneel
down, a free people who will always stand up for the respect of fundamental
rights, the protection of human dignity, the improvement every day of
democratic institutions, getting better and better.  And what makes our
greatness as a people, certainly our Constitution can nourish.

Before I am finished here, let's hear the declaration we find on the first
page of the Constitution. The text is in French and it is in Creole. I will
give you copies of it since it is our wish in the State, and especially in
the police, that this Constitution become a light to guide you. In the place
we are at today, there used to be death, corpses, torture when it was ruled
by the army of Haiti. Since the Police arrived here, protection must
continue to be given, life must continue to be protected, the Constitution
must continue to guide us.

Never to deadly weapons, for we oppose war, and we are for peace.  We oppose
deadly arms, we are for constitutional arms that guarantee peace. As such, at
the national as well as at the international level, we are citizens of Haiti
and citizens of the world, we are guided by a spirit of peace.  We will not
embrace war.  We are for peace, we are against the war.

May our reading of this Constitution strengthen our collective faith as a
peaceful people, victim of repressive structures, of so many cynical plots,
but ever proud of joining hands to keep on rebuilding today's Haiti for the
Haiti of tomorrow, our cherished Haiti.

The first declaration you can read in the text I will distribute stipulates
that:

"The Haitian people declares that it agrees with this Constitution.

First, the right for all Haitians to live,
Second, the right for all Haitians to live free,
Third, the right for all Haitians to live comfortably."

So, the right for us to live, the right for us to live free, the right for
us to live comfortably!

The second declaration states that this Constitution is there so that Haiti
can own itself, so that it can own its wealth in order for all Haitians to
be equal and for all Haitians to find justice.

This same declaration continues and states that the constitution is there so
that Haiti can stand up straight! So that it can stand up strong among all
other nations!

This declaration also stipulates that the Constitution is there so that
democracy can grow strong roots in the country,

And finally it says that the Constitution is there so that there are
principles in Haiti in order to respect everyone's rights. The right to live
free, the right to live comfortably! Since we all want to live comfortably,
I tell all of you to take the occasion of the anniversary of our
Constitution, on March 29th, to be good to each other so that we can live
comfortably.

Long live the Constitution of the Haitian Republic!
Long live the Haitian people!
Long live the Haitian National Police!
Long live our cherished Haiti!

Thank you.