15345: Senou: Haitian Crisis (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Thursday, April 17, 2003

Luigi R. Einaudi
Secretario General Adjunto
Organizatión de los Estados Americanos
17th Street & Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
    Tel.: (202) 458-6046
    Fax: (202) 458-3011
e-mail: leinaudi@oas.org

Dear Emissary,

        On the 23rd of this month, the OAS will
convene one more time on the Haitian crisis. You will
represent your country. A deadline was imposed for the
Full Compliance of Resolution 822, which was voted
unanimously by this Organization and accepted by the
current government of Haiti, the Convergence and the
Opposition.

        On April 3rd, 2003 you had a session on Haiti
and the committee that had imposed the Deadline had
presented its findings and you were asked to
communicate with your respective government, since you
did not have enough data to make a recommendation.

        You were given 20 days to analyze the data,
but I can tell you that the case of Haiti is not new
to anyone in this body. OAS has been on this case for
three years. A deadline was imposed and not respected,
and now what is the next step?

        This body has a responsibility, whether you
like it or not, to assist the Haitian people in this
sad moment. You voted on Resolution 822; it was
accepted. You imposed a deadline; it was not
respected. Now it is time to raise the Haitian case to
a higher level, which I call the moment of Decisive
Decision (DD).
May-be we are playing with words: A deadline is a
deadline and there should be some consequences if a
deadline is not honored.

        For the past three years, the International
Community, the European Community and the World Bank
withheld loans and economic assistance to Haiti the
poorest country in the region. Today, we cannot even
talk about the Haitian economy; it does not exist and
the country is getting poorer by the minute.
On the 23rd of this month, you are going to make some
recommendations and subsequently vote on them. I ask
you to have the Haitian people in mind and do whatever
you can to alleviate their suffering. This up coming
meeting might be for you a meeting like all the others
but for the Haitian people, it is a matter of life or
death. You know the conditions that must be met in
order for the European Community, Canada, the United
States of America, and the World Bank to unfreeze some
badly needed Financial Assistance.

        There is no need to consider any more
Resolutions; Resolution 822 is fine.  You have already
imposed a deadline, now OAS needs to give an ultimatum
for its Full implementation. This ultimatum shall go
to all sectors and there must be consequences. If the
current Haitian government does its part by arresting
the fugitives, restructuring the Police National,
arresting those who were involved in the disturbance
that took place in December 2001, and provide full
security to the citizens.  The opposition must send
its representing officer to create the CEP. All
sectors should be given one week to implement
Resolution 822 or face severe consequences.

       The first question; does OAS have a mean to
enforce an Ultimatum?   OAS shall give to any member
state the right to enforce the implementation of
Resolution 822 by any means or ask any volunteer to
create a coalition of the Willing to resolve the
Haitian crisis once and for all.

Recommendation:

1) A share of power (Lavalas, Convergence and the
Opposition); a neutral person shall have the number 2
post. This new government must restructure the justice
system, the police national, and the Haitian economy.
Then create a CEP that should oversee a special
congressional or general election.

Sincerely,

Joseph Alfred, Educator
P.O. BOX 334