15437: Mason: Listing Your Haiti-related Entity on Windows on Haiti (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

Corbetters,

It's been a long while since I've seen anything posted on the Corbett List
about Windows on Haiti, but (as a very regular visitor to WOH) I've noticed
many changes instituted by Guy S. Antoine (WOH's webmaster), especially with
regard to its Haitian Forum functionality.

I know that the Corbett List tends to shy away from focussing upon the URLs
of Haitian websites, but I'd like to alert you to these facts:

1) The Haitian Forum (in Creole) of Windows on Haiti experienced so many
attempts of Internet saboutage over recent years that Guy was forced many
months ago to close down the forum as it was (at the same time he has
preserved its archives!) and research a new software-driven mechanism to
better protect the ongoing hosting of WOH's Haitian Forum in Creole, French
and English.

2) In order to accommodate the new Haitian forum infrastructure and safeguard
the over-all Windows on Haiti infrastructure, Guy was obliged to restructure
the total Internet existence of WOH. You've probably noticed the difference
of URL when attempting to reach Windows on Haiti. WOH is now available at:

www.haitiforever.com

2) Ann Pale (the name of the newer multilingual WOH Haitian Forum) has been
functioning for the past couple of months at:

www.haitiforever.com/forum/

3) Ann Pale is structured to encourage personal responsibility in the posting
of messages. One now has to register to post to WOH/AP. As a result, it took
a couple of months for folks to get up their courage to continue with their
participation in WOH/AP, according to the new "rules of the game". As a
result, the message threads are not so prolific, but are of very high quality.

4) Just the other day, Guy opened up a new possibility for WOH/AP:

The free-of-charge listing of Haiti-related entities, such as:

- Small Business Listings (business cards)
(Business type, name, address and phone numbers. This is a free community
service. Extraneous information will only invalidate your entry, so do not
abuse.)

- Professional Listings (business cards)
(Your career specialty, serious hobby or home business, address and phone
numbers. Keep information short and to the point.)

- Associations, Schools, Churches, N.G.O. (listings)
(Name of organization, address and phone numbers. Besides the contact info,
you may BRIEFLY expand on your focus and objectives.)

- Specialized Listings: Haitian Restaurants
(Name, address, phone numbers. Specialties, business hours, eat in/take out
facility, average menu price, attire, and other factual information may be
listed.)

- Specialized Listings: Lodgings in Haiti
(Location, contact info, accommodations. Factual information only, please.)

To my way of thinking, this service of Windows on Haiti's Ann Pale Forum
could constitute one of the most up-to-date listings of Haiti-related
business, professionals, associations, schools, churches, NGOs, restaurants,
lodgings, etc. available anywhere.

Let's support this sacrificial initiative on Guy's part with our presence and
our text contributions!

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
The Creole Clearinghouse