15456: RAber: Re: 15451: Dorce Re: 15288: marasa to kurzban (fwd)

From: P&M Raber <raber@valkyrie.net>

> From: LAKAT47@aol.com
>
> In a message dated 4/13/03 6:18:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time, DeSprit
Marassa
> <lwasauvaj@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> <<  Neg ti linette, koze kredi.
>  Mr Kurzban is very funny man. He forget things he don't want to remember.
He
>  forget how many opposition people killed trying to campaign during 2000
>  election campaign. He also forget Aristide people throwing feces, urine,
>  rocks while police watch. >>
> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In a message dated 5/4/2003, Dorce writes" One man who is president is not
responsible for what many do, even if they do
 support him."

This is what being president is all about.  You take credit for the good
stuff and deductions for the bad stuff.  You assume responsibility for the
historical and current ills of a society and move forward by healing the
wounds and uniting all the factions.  Saying you understand why gangs kill
people does nothing but encourage the gangs.  Publically denouncing those
act with no colorful double talk would at least win some diplomatic points.
In the condition Haiti is in now, time, energy, and scarce ressources cannot
be wasted on the past.  Face current issues!  Prosecute current crimes
instead of explaining them away! Educate now so you don't have to
alphabetize later!  We'll never win the catch up game.  Let's start being on
schedule.

Dorce also write: " What you see happening is the people not accepting the
power
> elite's control over who is president and who is not."

The Haitian elite is part of Haitian society whether Mr. Aristide likes it
or not.  Mr. Aristide is married into the elite and most of his friends are
part of the elite.  His children are not only bourgois but they are also
Americans (at least until they make their choice at age 18). The educated
middle and upper classes desire to participate in the development of their
country but are being sidelined while those pushing them aside exhibit the
very behaviors (or worse) they pretend to abhor.  Authoritarian regimes the
world over use religion, color, class, or ethnicity to divide and conquer.
The hard working bourgoisie and the Haitian of Middle Eastern ancestry are
being blamed for the oppresion of the polulation even as their businesses
crumble with the economy.  Instead of antigonizing that economical power
base, the government should use diplomacy and a firm but just hand to tap
into those great resources.  Haiti has no oil-like resources.  The reality
is that investement will have to come from the Haitian elites, the Diaspora
(many with foreign incomes much higher than your average bourgeois and
therefore more to invest), foreign companies, or international aid.  It's
time for the rulers to swallow their pride and stop the blame game and
finger pointing.  There is no doubt that Haiti has been victimized.  Haitian
society as a whole and a number of  foreign nations all share in the ills of
the country.  However, morality and respect for others is not related to
social, political, or ethnic affiliation.  Wichever way you divide
people,there are small groups of altruists and small groups of crooks in
each category.  The rest and majority will not stick their neck out unless
they are following a good leader.  Democracy is not created overnight by an
election.  What we call democracy is really a liberal democracy, a political
system symbolized not only by free elections, but the rule of law, the
separation of powers, and basic human rights, including private property,
free speech and religious tolerance for ALL.  A climate of security promotes
investment in the economy by those holding the economical power (foreign or
Haitian investors).  A good economy creates jobs and the development of a
large solid tax paying middle class that in return demands accountability
from its employEE the government.  It's easy to point the finger at a small
group of business owners, but harder to put the blame on salaried middle
class.

Dorce continues "Even with the misery the US is heaping on
> top of the misery that already existed in Haiti, the people STILL do not
> denounce Aristide.  That rankles doesn't it.  They refuse to be
manipulated
> by outsiders (including their own outsiders!).  I do not condone murder
but I
> understand why desperate measures are resorted to;"

Once you leave the republic of Port-au-Prince, the majority of the people
are no longer supportive of Aristide.  However, who wants to publicly speak
up when they have seen what happens to those who speak up?  If Aristide
would START doing something, anything constructive, the people would rally
back behind him.   By the people I mean those from all segments of society
that first backed him up.  Although it is kept quiet, he was quite popular
among the elites as well.  Of course the big excuse is that without aid
money they can't do anything.  Basic security is one area where no new money
is needed.  Aristide could just for a few weeks put the money he puts into
his personal security toward the security of the country and show his
resolve.  What greater testimony than to put the good of the country ahead
of your own?

Dorce continues:  "They refuse to be manipulated by outsiders (including
their own outsiders!).  I do not condone murder but I understand why
desperate measures are resorted to;"

Who are the people's "own outsiders"? And isn't that a contradiction to be
your own outsider? Are these the people who may have a different opinion?  A
free society is a place where all types can live side by side and not be
afraid of being murdered for their opinion.  Murder can never be explained
away and should always be punished an independant judiciary.

Dorce finishes : " The army is dead, long live the people of Haiti!"

 Amen to that one but the people come in an assortment of skin color, income
levels, an social classes.

M. Raber