15460: (Hermantin) -Miami Herald-letter to the Editor-Haitians aren't a terrorist threat (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, May. 05, 2003

Haitians aren't a terrorist threat

IN RESPONSE

Re Candace Jean's April 27 column, They came for asylum, not for terrorism:
How can anyone involved with our immigration policy be so cruel and
heartless? Armed guards keeping Haitian children confined to a motel room
for six months and not allowing them to play in the sunshine is
unconscionable. Kids need Vitamin D from the sun to keep their bones strong,
as we all do. Not to mention that these kids come from a Caribbean island
and are accustomed to being in the sun.

What makes this situation really disgusting is that U.S. Attorney General
John Ashcroft has decided that these children and other Haitian asylum
seekers pose a terrorist threat to our nation and must be detained. Hogwash.

When have you ever read about any Haitian hijacking a jet or a boat to get
to Miami?

They risk an uncertain journey at sea, often in overcrowded boats, hoping to
make it to our shores. When they do manage to get here, they are treated
like subhumans. They end up imprisoned and denied legal representation --
unlike their Cuban counterparts.

Ashcroft can't use the terrorist-threat excuse against Haitian refugees.
Isn't it obvious that he is bigoted? Why else would he insist on locking up
children? Let's face it: He and our local officials aren't losing any sleep
over the way Haitians are treated. That's the real tragedy.

CAROL M. CLOTHIER

Miami