15536: Wilentz: Re: 15506: ForHaiti: Housing;

From: Amywile@aol.com

Yes I didn't want to mention it, but the last time I was in Haiti I saw a
project built a bit outside town (Port-au-Prince) under the Preval
government
that had no water, and no feel for the kinds of communities that people in
the
bidonvilles slowly build up, even when made of cardboard. I saw many new
housing projects like this in Panama City and in the Dominican Republic
during
visits there in the 1980s and 1990s. People I talked to in Santo Domingo
told
me that they preferred their old slum quarters, but in the DR they were
forcibly moved out of the old slums to beautify the capital city; I assume
that
is NOT the case in Haiti today, of course.

Amy Wilentz