15575: from FumNwa: History of paper (fwd)

From: FumNwa@aol.com

a job well done indeed. . .my one comment is to the one made by Raymond Joseph, co-publisher of the Haiti Observateur.  this is where the real "gap" between young and old exists. . .there is no FAITH in the youth.  i myself make it a point not to call myself haitian-american, and i get a lot of flack for that, but it is where i stand.  someone asks me what i am, i say i am haitian.  where were you born, though, they ask. i say on paper, i am an american.  everything else, heart, soul, race, hair, skin, intelligence, creativeity, is 100% haitian.  the older generation must undersatnd that a lot of us have an incredible amount of solidarity for haiti even though it seems like the country is falling apart.  its the only thing we have to hold on to.  its what ties us together in this country full of hatred, racism, bigotry and discrimmination.  at the end of the day, haiti will NEVER disown us.
"The young Haitians will assimilate with the general society and will lose any interest in the events on the island."
this statement, upon further reflection, really angers me.  it has nothing to do with the paper, but is a direct jab at the haitian youth in this country.  first of all, any young person who was born here of immigrant parents know how hard our parents, unlike many other caribbean parents, tried to drill into our heads that "YOU ARE NOT AMERICAN."  that was a daily declaration in my home.  how dare ANYONE undermine the solidarity, pride and love that haitian young people have for their mother country??  people wonder why we have a hard time moving forward - its because people dont believe that there is hope.  people dont believe that anyone can make a difference.  people arent willing to work together.  people  are more content in BLAMING then COLLABORATING.
to close - our 200 year revolution/celebration is right around the corner.  i hope we can move forward with love and unity the way our ancestors once did.  remember - live free or die was not a statement - it was a way of life.
peace
fumnwa