15643: (Hermantin)Miami Herald- Comforts of home: Parade to spotlight Haitian culture (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Thu, May. 15, 2003

HOMESTEAD
Comforts of home: Parade to spotlight Haitian culture
BY NATHALIE GOUILLOU
ngouillou@herald.com

When Micheline Ducena was a little girl in Haiti, one of her favorite things
was to go to the island's Mardi Gras parade.

''My father was a very strict man, but every year he would take the family
to the parade where we would dance to the music,'' Ducena said.

During her 26 years of working in the Haitian community -- and as the new
president of the Haitian Organization for Women -- Ducena has worked into
keeping Haitian's traditions alive by helping organize festivals and
carnivals.

But this year, Ducena will be dancing in the streets just like she used to
back home.

Between noon and 2 p.m. Saturday, the Haitian Organization for Women, along
with other organizations, will hold their first parade in the streets of
Homestead.

''This year, for the first time, we'll have a parade just like in Haiti,''
Ducena said.

The parade, celebrating the 200th anniversary of the creation of Haiti's
flag, will start at Mowry Street and Flagler Avenue, go north on Krome
Avenue, continue on Campbell Drive and return to Flagler Avenue.

Then, participants will gather at a lot between Washington and Flagler
avenues to continue the festivities for the rest of the afternoon.
Traditional food and merchandise will be available.

Streets will be closed from about noon to 2 p.m. for the duration of the
parade, said Homestead spokesperson Charles LaPradd.

Having had a little more than a month of preparation, Ducena said she is
hoping to host Haitian communities, as well as others, from across
Miami-Dade County, and expects about 2,000 people to attend.

''[The Haitian Organization] always has an outstanding crowd and very
diverse communities participating,'' Homestead Mayor Roscoe Warren said.
``And I like that.''

Warren was invited by Ducena to head the parade as the Grand Marshall,
something he said he was looking forward to do.

''I will definitely be there,'' Warren said.

Following the rhythm of the Homestead Senior High marching band, a group of
about 20 kids from the Haitian community program will be dancing, dressed up
in 19th century inspired costumes, Ducena said.

The youngsters are also working on a play that will portray different
aspects of Haitian culture, she said.

''We will have someone acting as Catherine Flon [the woman who made the
first Haitian flag], for example,'' Ducena said.

But aside from the fun of music and dance, Ducena said the message the
celebration of the flag carries is what really matters.

'Our flag says `There's power in unity,' '' Ducena said. ``And people [of
any background] have to know that we can be united, accept each other and
work together.''