15662: (Bellegarded-Smith) Montreal's Haitians show their pride as homeland's 'Bicolore' turns 200 (fwd)

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

Montreal's Haitians show their pride as homeland's 'Bicolore' turns 200

By Kevin Mio - Montreal Gazette

Monday, May 19, 2003

Montreal's Haitians joined more than one million others around the world
yesterday to celebrate the 200th anniversary of their flag.

On May 18, 1804, the flag sent a message to France that Haitians would no
longer accept French rule.

As it was raised in front of the Centre Culturel La Perle Retrouvée
yesterday, it sent a message to Montreal that the community is here to stay.

"This is the emblem of our freedom," said Lefly Tilus, president of La Perle
Retrouvée, the Haitian cultural association.

Better known as ''le Bicolore'' to Haitians, the red and blue flag depicts a
palm tree surrounded by two cannons, a drum and other artifacts. It also bears
the inscription "L'union fait la force" or strength in unity.

"From this moment on, the Haitian flag will fly next to this highway for the
pride of all Haitians and the heritage of our ancestors," Tilus said.

The centre, located at the corner of 20th Ave. and Cremazie Blvd. near the
Metropolitan Expressway, was bought from the Catholic Church in February and
represents a rallying point for the community.

"For Haitians, the flag has always been something to be proud of so when we
talk of the flag, we touch the soul of Haitians," Keder Hyppolite said.

"It's the second country in North America to claim independence and it's the
first black country to do that."

The lively ceremony capped off three days of festivities that celebrated the
flag and its meaning to all Haitians, regardless of where they live.

"It's very important for Haitians, whether they live in Montreal or in
Haiti," Carol Joseph, chargé d'affaires for the Haitian Embassy in Ottawa, said.

"It was the first act toward the separation of the Republic of Haiti from
France."

Haiti's consul general in Montreal, Reynald Marcel Sémexant, said that the
occasion was a day when all Haitians can feel honoured.

"We must say that we are proud to be a nation and we must make ourselves more
known," he said.

The centre represents the first permanent roots for the Haitian community in
the city.

"This is a big symbol for the community, because it's with the money from
members of the community that we were able to buy it," Sémexant said.

Stephanie Casimir, who emigrated to Canada when she was 5, says she has
become more patriotic to her native Haiti over the past year.

"It brings me closer to my roots and to my ancestors and it allows me to
share something great with my people," 33-year-old Casimir said.

"To celebrate it (the flag) in the cultural centre is a way to show that we
have accomplished things. It shows that we are able to reach the goals we set."

The Haitian community will now turn its sights on the celebration of the
bicentennial of the country's independence, declared on Jan. 1, 1804.

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group. If you want
to be removed from this list, please send an email message to
haitisupport@gn.apc.org

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.