15666: Dorce: Re: 15612: Durban Suggests Aristide Grab the Initiative (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 5/19/03 5:00:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Lance Durban
<lpdurban@yahoo.com> writes:

<< It was Henry Kissinger who once noted that "a stable social
 structure thrives not on triumphs but on reconciliations."  >>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
And what a sterling character Kissinger is...he also may be quoted in areas
of intrigue and deception.  Kissinger was for winning; let the other guy
reconcile.

>>Is this perhaps a belated recognition
that maintaining social peace is also a prerequisite to economic
development?   With almost half of his five year mandate
finished, President Aristide must surely sense that without that
elusive reconciliation, hopes for improving Haiti may not be
realized on his watch.<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Yes, of course he realizes that without reconciliation he will not be able to
make the changes necessary to move Haiti out of misery.  However, he has made
concession after concession to no effect.  This is because the opposition
will not reconcile; they will accept nothing less than the removal of Aristide
and Lavalas.  Talk to THEM about reconciliation and
"stable social structure."  They will never reconcile because they do not
want Aristide to succeed in any way.  They have their enormous, misplaced egos
involved and triumph is the only thing on their minds.

>> Unfortunately, that's not all that we are hearing.  Aristide
partisans still blame the country's ills on an "embargo" of
international monies, while his political opponents are quick to
point to a whole raft of shortcomings closer to home.<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
That is not exactly true.  While the embargo, or if you'd rather, the
withholding of funds earmarked for development of Haiti is devastating to Haitians,
it is more than that.  It is the entire campaign against Aristide, both covert
and overt that is very much to blame for Aristide not being able to produce
positive results "closer to home."

>>Few on either side of the political divide seem to have noticed the
negative impact a weak U.S. economy has had on the Haitian
economy.<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Oh please, this money was already slated to go to Haiti and our economy is
just fine, after all, we just had a very nice war to boost it, didn't we? Also
not all of the money is from the US but we seem to have a lot of influence in
the international community.  Are others afraid of the US??
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>> 1.  Statement of Intent
    A presidential address reminding the nation of his support for
the Haitian constitution, including his intention to step down
at the end of his constitutionally-mandated 5 year term.  This
reassurance should be no big deal, since President Aristide has
repeatedly voiced support both for the electoral process and the
Haitian constitution, which stipulates that he cannot succeed
himself.  Spelling it out unequivocally, however,  would be very
useful in regaining the support of those who have written his
regime off as a non-democratic.<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Ok, this is doable.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<< 2.  Rapprochement with U.S. Embassy
        Continuing the present frosty relationship with the U.S.
is neither in Haiti's nor President Aristide's best interest.
Ban the term "economic embargo", de-emphasize support of the
Black Congressional Caucus, and try to reconnect with the
moderate middle of U.S. political thinking.  Publicly visit
USAID offices, thank Administrator David Adams for his efforts
in whatever project he happens to be promoting.
        Continue active dialogue with current Ambassador Brian
Dean Curran.  Warmly and publicly welcome the new U.S.
Ambassador, James Foley, due to arrive sometime in September,
inviting him to get personally involved in helping Haiti and
promising him full access to the Office of the President.
        Think positively and grab a place on President Bush's
team even if it is not offered.>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
So they can continue to disrespect the President of Haiti and force him into
more concessions without giving one thing back?  How unpalatable.

I won't even go into how odious I think the Baby Doc reconciliation is.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>> As Haiti's elected president, the initiative lies with
President Aristide.  The courage to act boldly and change course
might be the best way for him to realize his own professed
aspirations for Haiti.  And turning the country around in the
second half of his 5 year term would be the very best response
to those in the political opposition calling for his head.<<
Nice speech but Aristide could do all of these things and still not get the
support he needs to get things done.  You can't reconcile with people who want
to destroy you.  You wait until they self-destruct and then you deal with more
reasonable entities.  Aristide cannot win with those people; if he concedes,
they say he's weak; if he holds steadfast, they say he's intractable.
Hopefully he will stop giving everything away to get nothing and find other ways to
move Haiti forward.  A new democracy needs a no-nonsense motto, like the young
United States: Don't Tread on Me!