15753: Holmstead comments on Communists in Haiti (fwd)

From: John Holmstead <cyberkismet@yahoo.com>

NADAL wrote:

"The following are proofs that JBA is a communist, an
anarchist , a terrorist , a thief and a
criminal".

The accusation that Aristide is a communist is
confusing. Made even more by the recent article
written by Michael Norton about the death of Haitan
Communist Party leader Rene Theodore. According to
Norton, "Having garnered a wide following among
Haitian youth and the urban poor, Theodore founded a
new party, the Movement for National Reconstruction,
but quickly lost support when he unsuccessfully
opposed Aristide, then a popular Catholic priest, for
the presidency in December 1990.

Aristide won in a landslide, and the communist party
disintegrated".

Based on this information it would seem that Aristide
was instrumental in the disintegration of the
Communist Party in Haiti rather a supporter or backer
of the movement. I would think given Nadal's ferocious
attacks against communism in Haiti that would endear
him to Aristide.

Another Norton quote from the piece states, "Theodore,
who began his 47-year activist career in high school,
performed his last political act in December by
co-signing an opposition declaration calling for
Aristide's resignation.

Accusing Aristide of trying to establish one-party,
one-man rule, Haiti's opposition has been at
loggerheads with the president since his Lavalas
Family Party swept flawed 2000 general elections".

I wonder what Nadal's opinion was of Theodore given
that Nadal's opinions are certainly closer to the
communist leader Theodore's then to Aristide's. Who
are the real communists in Haiti? Or do you just use
the term to describe your enemies while communists who
agree with you in your assessment of Aristide are
ignored and left untouched? The logic is beyond me.