15815: esanon: Delray Elementary School to be taught in French.... (fwd)

From: "esanon@gate.net" <esanon@gate.net>

As I lived in Boca Raton, a neighboring city to Delray Beach, for more than
a decade, as a former community activist in the tri-county area of Dade,
Broward, and Palm Beach, I am afraid that something is wrong somewhere in
reference to the teaching in French to Haitian kids in Delray Beach.
I am afraid that I do not quite understand whether the Sun-Suntinel meant
to state 'will learn French' or 'Will learn in French'. If it is to learn
in French, nothing seems to be wrong in the picture. That is actually
wonderful!
If it however is to learn in French, this is going to be another slap to
our youth, once again! WE MUST CRY 'STOP'as quickly as possible before
money get involved and we have a gigantic fight in our hands!
What seems to be going on here is the following: Most Haitians living here
tend to present themselves as French speakers, whenever they are asked -
what is your native language? On their job or immigration applications,
they oftentimes reply French to the same question. The lack of
understanding of roots, culture, history, and the culturral complexity of
the Haitian society misguided cultural snafu disturbed our folks. They
otherwise feel so proud when they let foreigners know that they speak
English in lieu of Creole. Please, we do have another issue in our hands to
handle with care and asap. If not, we risk to be dealing with a farther
alienation of our society.

E. Sanon <esanon@gate.ent>

http://mail2web.com/ .