15933: Laleau Re: 15896: Wolf: computers into Haiti

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Casey, I haven't actually tried to get computers repaired in Haiti,
but by
now I imagine it's possible. Better, plan on laptops and they can be sent
with
friends to Miami for repairs. Don't ship ANYTHING to Haiti that you can
hand-carry. Carrying 3-4 laptops makes a lot more sense than shipping
anything.
Smaller is always better because the roads will destroy anything large and
fragile. See if there's any way to DUSTPROOF your computer!!! I had a new
laptop that 6 months in Gonaives destroyed. Back in the states they said
it was
full of dust. Also, if you are by a beach, salty air can damage
electronics.
Also heat can damage them... so buying them, tell the dealer the
environment is
SERIOUSLY not electronics-friendly and see if he can build in protections
and
advise on how to manage them. --nlaleau