15969: Mason: About Union School in Haiti (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

Union School in Haiti has never presented itself as a school run by Jesuits.

It's an English-language school for MKs (Missionary Kids), DKs (Diplomat
Kids), and HEKs (Haitian Elite Kids).

As such, it does an extremely good job. I can attest to the fact that during
1976-77 my three kids got a premier education for a pretty price while I
served Église Méthodiste d'Haïti at its Publishing House at Frères.

Here are some URLs from their Website:

http://www.acn2.net/unionschool/aboutus_e.htm

About Union School

Welcome! Here you will find information about every aspect of the school. You
are provided with our history, our mission, our board of trustees and
information about Haiti.

Accreditation

Fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the
school holds membership in the Association of Colombian-Caribbean American
Schools, the Association for the Advancement of International Education, National
Association of Secondary School Principals and the Association for Supervision
and Curriculum Development.

http://www.acn2.net/unionschool/history_e.htm

History of Union School

Union School was founded under the name Colony School in 1919 for the purpose
of educating the children of U.S. Marine Corps families stationed in Haïti.
It continued for several years as a small school serving only a few families
of U.S. citizens.  In 1943 the school constitution was amended to permit
qualified students of any nation to enter, and at that time the name was changed to
Union School.

Presently there are a number of nationalities represented in the student body
with an en-rollment of approximately 400 students.  Part of the downtown site
o the school was donated by the Haitian government, and the main building was
completed in 1953.  An auditorium/classroom complex was added in 1962.  A
library was built in 1969.

Then in 1974, the Elementary school (grades 1 through 6) was moved into a new
facility directly in front of the original building.  In 1978, the
administrative offices were relocated and remodeled to provide for more efficient
management of the school.  In the fall of 1987, the school moved to a temporary
location in the Juvenat area of Pétion-Ville.

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
The Creole Clearinghouse
P.O. Box 181015