15981: Schweissing: NG Editorial: Haitians testing our Christianity (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

Haitians testing our Christianity

Publication Nassau Guardian
http://www.thenassauguardian.com
Date June 16, 2003
Section(s) Editorial

The Editor, The Guardian

Dear Editor

In the past, we have often quoted the following: "The time has come, " the
walrus said "To talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax of
cabbages and kings... "

Taking into consideration the tremendous amount of discussion concerning the
apparent influx of illegal immigrants, particularly Haitians, how about
these as appetizers: Who said "principles don't put bread on the table? " -
an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which
is evil - Luke 6:45.

Do you think that the Prime Minister had in mind the following statements
when he appointed Mr. Fred Mitchell Minister of Foreign Affairs - "But in an
independent Bahamas, there ought to be Bahamian judges and Bahamian officers
of the Department of Legal Affairs. This means therefore that Mr. Ducille
and his wife, names like Bissesar, Hamilton, Sabola and Marques ought all to
disappear from the Bahamas legal and judicial system.

"I do not want him to share my citizenship with me, and have the same rights
and privileges as me because of some decisions he has made as a Judge of the
Supreme Court ".

On the occasion of those utterances by Mr. Mitchell, we chastened him and
stated that if he were to sit at the feet of the then Bishop Eldon, the
Bishop

would tell him that extreme nationalism is unchristianlike. At a recent Town
meeting held in the Marathon Constituency which was broadcast live on Love
97, we noticed that Mr. Mitchell found himself in a hot seat when he
desperately tried to enunciate and defend the Government's policy with
respect to illegal immigrants. We empathized with the Minister, but we could
not help but recognize how the chickens have come home to roost.

Concerning the recent exhortations by Rev. Simeon Hall and Rev. Neil Ellis,
especially the latter, where he counsels the government to do what it has to
do and send back to Haiti all illegal immigrants and keep the Bahamas for
Bahamians first, we would relish a presentation by Mr. Ellis of his
interpretation of the parable of the good Samaritan, which was delivered by
Jesus Christ in answer to the question "Who is my neighbour? " In case the
good Reverend has forgotten where to find it, he can check St. Luke chapter
10 verses 29 to 37.

We have made particular reference to these religious ministers, because we
emphatically are of the opinion that so much that is apparently wrong in
these islands can be traced to the false messages which are being conveyed
to an extremely gullible populace, "even so ye also outwardly appear
righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity Matthew
23:28 " In this same vein, we have on another occasion referred to prayers
of a senior religious minister who at a PLP convention prior to 1992, prayed
for the PLP to

be in power for another 25 years - what an affliction! Another example of
mixed messages which have been conveyed, is the posture of a very prominent
religious minister who until 1997 was an extremely strong supporter of the
PLP, but switched his allegiance to the FNM and could be heard loudly
proclaiming "RUN TOMMY, RUN TOMMY ". Bear in mind that these religious
ministers have large followings.

Until Hurricane "Floyd ", we were treated yearly to utterances that the
Bahamas is a "blessed " country, but in one powerful gust, possibly a "fresh
wind ", that saying is no longer relevant. However, in that light, we offer
this: We get news of earthquakes in California, Mexico, Russia; we know of
volcanic eruptions especially that in Montserrat, where the entire City of
Plymouth was destroyed. As a "Christian " nation, and recognising that God
is a jealous God, do you see the illegal immigrants, particularly the
Haitians, as similar to the visitation of those natural disasters? Can you
see our heavenly father saying, you Christians in the Bahamas, you are
professing all of this Christianity, yet you are treating the Haitians
badly; until you put into practice your Christianity, I will keep visiting
iniquity upon you, by sending these Haitians in increasing numbers to your
shores. Bahamians, wake up and small the cracked conch.

In closing, do you think that Talk Show Radio is like a bull in a china shop
which has been released upon the community, and it needs reining in and
taken to a different level?

Yours etc.,

Fred Phillips

Posted Monday 16 June, 2003