16008: Vedrine: Re: 16002: Lally: French vs Creole (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

French influence on the people of the French Caribbean (Antilles Francaises)
is quite significant. The main language in these places is certainly FRENCH,
but I pretty much doubt to find people who were born there and don't speak
Kweyol (as they call it). Last month I was in French Guyana for an
international conference on WRITING THE LANGUAGES OF FRENCH GUYANA (about 10
are spoken there). A young man from Martinique (in his 20's) has interviewed
me in both French and Kweyol and he said he's currently writing a Master's
thesis in Kweyol (with focus on the media). On May 12, a group of young High
School students (about 20) from Martinique boarded the Air France flight I
was traveling with (from Port of Spain, Trinidad); though they were speaking
in French, upon arrival in Martinique an old Haitian guy accidently  hit one
on the head while pulling his bag from the overhead compartment; she was
quite agitated and she spoke in Kweyol to the old man. Maybe those who were
born in the Metropol (France) and move to theses places don't master the
Kweyol language), but automatically I think those who were born in the
French Antilles do have a mastery of Kweyol; now writing Kweyol might be
sth. else for them since everything is in French since they are part of the
main land (France).

E.W.Vedrine