16035: (Hermantin) Miami Herald-Club celebrates Haitian Culture in American Society (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sun, Jun. 22, 2003

Club celebrates Haitian culture in American society
Fun and civility mark monthly gatherings
BY YVONNE CAREY
Special to The Herald

Tradition, culture and a love of good food brought members of a
Haitian-American social club together last weekend at Marabou Cafe in
Pembroke Pines.

French phrases flowed freely around the table as members of Club Entente
spoke of past events and current challenges.

''We want to retain our traditions but learn to live in this modern society.
We also want to integrate by learning local laws and customs,'' said Ernest
Buissereth of Pembroke Pines. 'Our logo, a cat and a dog, say `Ils
s'entendent, et nous?' It means, `If they can understand each other and be
friends, why can't we?' ''

Club Entente hosts speakers from the medical professions, law enforcement
and education to help new members and their extended families learn American
ways, said Buissereth, who moved to the United States in the 1960s.

Club president Myrtho Valcin, of Miramar, said the 30-member group was one
of the first nonprofit, nonpolitical Haitian-American clubs in Broward. It
will mark its 11th anniversary in September.

The club roster was slim early on, but after Hurricane Andrew in 1992, many
Haitian-Americans moved to Broward, particularly to Miramar, Valcin said.

Miramar Mayor Lori Moseley said Haitian Americans are becoming a more
visible and more vocal part of the fabric of the city. There were two
Haitian candidates in the last city election, she said.

Valcin said the club is not about politics. ''We can talk about politics,
but we are not involved. Anyone who wants to relax and enjoy can just pick
up and come with us,'' Valcin said.

At Maribou Cafe, Haitian party music called compas entertained the members,
smiles abounded, and hands passed dish after dish of akra, a fried sweet
potato appetizer, and jon-jon, a black rice dish which gets its flavor and
color from a mushroom.

Club treasurer Gisele Hyppolite said that in her opinion, conch is the best
traditional dish to order in a Haitian restaurant.

''I know when I order conch it will always taste right. You can't change the
flavor,'' Hyppolite said.

Another tradition dear to Club Entente members is the warm civility they
share. Club secretary Ketty Day, who has been in the United States for 23
years, said she taught her children always to respect adults, especially
teachers who act as ''mummy and daddy'' when they are not around.

''Everyone is too busy to be friendly now, but we still teach our children
to act in a friendly, harmonious manner,'' Day said.

On Friday, the club honored fellow Haitian-Americans Capt. Dexter Williams
of the Miramar Police Department and Cmdr. Gary Charles Eugene of the Miami
Police Department for exceptional accomplishments during an event at the
Miramar Civic Center.

Club Entente welcomes new members. It meets on the second Saturday of each
month at St. Bartholomew Catholic Church, 8005 Miramar Pkwy., Miramar. The
cost to join is $10. Monthly dues are $5. Call 954-609-0409.