16376: Laleau: Learning to lie

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear DT--Some months ago I was trying to explain this thing about
Haitians'
lying to another List member... I learned it from my now-dead
now-ex-husband...
I used to hear him telling ANYthing to people who asked him questions ...
ANYthing but the truth... and for no good reason, as far as I could see.
He
would have nothing to be afraid of, or nothing to gain, no matter what he
said.
But he would lie. Anyway, when I asked him about it, he said "In this
country,
you only tell the truth to people who deserve the truth." And he didn't
think
many people deserved the truth. It's a reverse assumption of a wealthy
country
like the US where there's enough to go around for most people... in
hostile
predatory environments, you feed the rat... nancy laleau