16484: Dorce: Re:16473:Goodman: Re:16468:Sylvain:Re16425:Cunningham: Christians... (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 8/21/03 12:09:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Brian Goodman
<bdgoody2002@yahoo.com>writes:

<< It's a sad world that we  live  in where people smack the hand that tries
to help them. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I'm not sure to whom you are referring but this last sentence really bothers
me.  That's the trouble with helpers.  Many times they help for their own
benefit, lifting themselves up, loving their own generosity and they lose sight of
what the true goals are.  One thing I know.  When you hand out charity, you
place yourself above the recipient and he knows you are above him too.  He may
be grateful for the bit of food or money or goods to sell but he will not feel
good about himself or you due to the imbalance.  No one likes to be told he
is not good enough so an outsider has to come in and help him be someone
better.  We would laugh at anyone who would do that to us, the great Americans.
Haiti has had missionaries, NGOs and assorted government "helpers" for almost all
of those 200 years and what good have they done?  They must share in Haiti's
failure to thrive (progress) as well as the other groups who have had their
chance to contribute to Haiti's well-being.

Kathy Dorce~