17069: (Hermantin)Miami Herald-U.S. aid focuses on needs of poorest Haitians (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Wed, Oct. 29, 2003

ROGER F. NORIEGA,
THE READERS' FORUM | www.herald.com/opinion
U.S. aid focuses on needs of poorest Haitians

In his Oct. 5 column, Our hard-line policy punishes the innocent, Carl
Hiaasen alleges that the United States led efforts to block assistance for
the Haitian people. In fact, the United States remains Haiti's largest
donor. In fiscal year 2003, we provided more than $72 million in U.S. aid --
grants, not loans -- to the Haitian people.

Since helping restore Haiti's democratically elected government in 1994, the
U.S. government has given the Haitian government and people more than $800
million. U.S. aid focuses on improving the health, nutrition and education
of the neediest Haitians, especially mothers and children. Haiti is one of
14 countries to benefit from President Bush's Emergency Plan for AIDS
Relief, a five-year, $15 billion initiative.

The United States is Haiti's No. 1 investor and trading partner. Thanks to
the Caribbean Basin Trade Partnership Act, many of Haiti's exports come here
duty-free. Development assistance is not a panacea. It works only when the
local government is committed to the goals promoted by assistance.

Sadly, in Haiti, such commitment is often lacking. A World Bank study
concluded that the bank's support to Haiti in the mid-1990s did little to
improve Haitian lives because of poor governance and accountability. A
recent Transparency International survey on corruption in nations ranked
Haiti No. 131; only Bangladesh and Nigeria ranked as more corrupt. Concern
about corruption and accountability is a major reason for our providing
assistance directly to nongovernmental organizations, rather than through
the Haitian government.

The United States is working in Haiti and with regional partners to build a
nation that is democratic, prosperous and stable. We strongly support --
financially and politically -- Organization of American States efforts
there.

The U.S. government believes that only by developing a democratic and
transparent government can Haiti break the cycle of misery and dependence to
develop economically and socially.

Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs,

Washington, D.C.

  email this |  print this

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.