17073: Smith: In response to Post 17070 : Independence (Fete) (fwd)

From: Paulette Anne Smith <PauletteAnne.Smith@tufts.edu>

We are having a lot of fun preparing for the
Commemoration of the Bicentennial,
with our students here at Tufts University!

We are engaged in an interdisciplinary project,
under the auspices of the CIS,
and the Romance Languages Department, and our
Tisch library
with  the cooperation of the Departments of
History, the Fletcher School of Diplomacy,
Cultural Studies, International Relations, African
Studies, World Civilizations and the Arts.

Our project is organized around 3 events
-a Round Table with writers and artists (most of
them coming directly from Haiti),
-an exhibit of Haitian "Belles Reluires" (as JS
Alexis liked to call them) i.e. Hard Cover of
Books
-and culminating into a Keynote speaker (address)
to be announced shortly.

We hope to open our event(s) to the public

I'll be interested to learn about what other
Universities are planning!
and then maybe we could ask Corbett to publish the
list with the hope that it will motivate our
confreres in Haiti to join in spirit (and if
possible or appropriate, in deeds)

Paulette Anne Smith, Ph.D.
Tufts University
Department of Romance Languages