17131: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-Volunteers to Haiti honored (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Wed, Nov. 05, 2003

FORT LAUDERDALE
Volunteers to Haiti honored
A group of water-safety instructors is recognized for its efforts, and it is
announced that another contingent will return in April.
BY JENNIFER LEBOVICH
jlebovich@herald.com

For the Fort Lauderdale volunteers who traveled to Cap-Haitien to teach
water safety, getting to Haiti was no simple task.

The group almost lost $6,000 after an airline canceled the trip at the last
minute and the refund check bounced.

The group, organized by John Fletemeyer, vice president of the International
Swimming Hall of Fame, found another flight. But even then, the journey
didn't go according to plan.

The volunteers came to teach swimming, yet the three pools they were
scheduled to use were empty. Also, many of the Fort Lauderdale group fell
ill after they drank regular water when their bottled water ran out.

But when the volunteers finally got to Cap-Haitien to train police and fire
fighters, Fort Lauderdale lifeguard Erik Jersted said the trip surpassed his
expectations.

''It was kind of like providence, like a divine appointment,'' he said.
``They were the greatest guys. They were just good-hearted.''

For Lauderdale Ocean Rescue members and others who made the trip were
honored Tuesday at the Swimming Hall of Fame.

And Fletemeyer announced Tuesday that because of the success of the first
trip, an even bigger group would travel to the country in six months.

''We had a number of obstacles,'' Fletemeyer said. ``But we were changed
people. Because of the energy and enthusiasm of the program, we'll go back
in April and have an even larger team of 20.''

In six weeks, some of the Haitian police officers will come to the United
States, thanks to a contribution from an anonymous donor, Fletemeyer said.
Mayor Jim Naugle, who was honored Tuesday night by the Swimming Hall of Fame
for his efforts on behalf of the teaching mission, pledged to get visas for
the Haitian visitors, Fletemeyer said.

Jersted said he would never forget a group of Haitian men who sang to the
American volunteers as they ended the six-day trip.

''Listening to them sing together touched me,'' he said. ``I liked the way
they cared for each other -- there was a real bond and respect. Their skill
level was low, but the desire to learn was so high.''

The volunteers gave 450 kids swimming lessons, trained 32 police and fire
rescue workers and distributed more than 5,000 coloring books detailing
water safety.

Jersted plans to return with the next group, and said he even considered
fixing up a boat so he could make the 500-mile trip himself. Jersted is
collecting fins, snorkels, life preservers and other gear to bring on the
next trip.

''We taught about 500 kids to swim,'' he said. ``We trained people. They're
cops, firefighters, and now, lifeguards.''

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!