17139: Kathleen: Re: 17126: Renmen Ayiti (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

I was in Haiti, in the Central Plateau, May 2000. I saw lavalas with rifles
leveled at prospective voters; others did too.  I heard from reliable people
of paid votes. The bottom line is that people are afraid to vote, or selling
their votes, under the eye of Lavalas.  I would treat this as a rumor if I
hadn't been a direct witness.  The elections can't be monitored everywhere -
so that is why elections are not a "best" way to solve the problem.

Kathleen Burke