17255: Senou: 47 Days to go (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

“The difference between those who merely wish and
those who actually arrive is always action. Act on it,
with persistence, with commitment, with positive
purpose, and it will be.” -- Ralph Marston
We waste our valuable energy in complaining and
blaming others instead we need to use that energy to
do something “Good” and “Positive”.   It is easy to
blame others for our failure. We live life forward and
no matter what happened in the past, we would continue
to live it forward. Now, it is up to you not to live
“dans l’irréel du present”. It is up to you to stop
dreaming and fantasizing on how life could have been.
Yes, our ancestors did accomplish something in their
era and we are a living proof of their efforts. Haiti
is born out of a Union.
On May 18,1803, you can celebrate the Flag and ignore
the signification of that important date, but myself I
believe from the bottom of my heart that my ancestors
did the ultimate sacrifice to leave us this country
that used to be called the Pearle of the Caribbean.
Those of you who are old today and incapable to
reverse the course, you are not responsible and do not
blame yourselves. No one can seriously blame a single
individual for this harsh misery and for our state of
poverty.
Today, we have to accept the fact that we fail as a
nation and get together to start something new. Yes,
we can go back somewhere in our history and try to
replicate what our grandparents had accomplished and
we do not have to go too far to resolve the most
pressing problem about the 2000 congressional
election.
In 1990, the CEP of Sabala organized the first free
and fair election in the free world; therefore, no
country in the world can dictate to us or tell us how
to organize a presidential or congressional election.
We have credible people in Haiti who can reiterate
that exploit.
The behavior and the action of most Haitian leaders
make us look like a bunch of fool and that we don’t
know what we are doing; this is sad and pitiful.
Clearly there were irregularities in the last
congressional election; they suppose to have a redo in
the affected areas only. Period. And move on.
A few days ago, someone asked a question on Corbett
list: After so and so who else? Plenty.  people die
all the time, are you going to tell me if you die you
are not going to have a replacement? Nonsense, not
only there are plenty, we might find a better one.
Will there be a candidate that is going to act like a
democrat and not going to fill his/her pocket?
Well we have an answer to that question, since there
is no bad or good question but I can say clearly that
it is an insult to a majority of Haitian nationals and
you assume that all Haitians are a bunch of crook. Be
careful. Yes, Nissage Saget of Saint Marc and
Dumarsais Estimé were the first two democratic
presidents of Haiti. And we have plenty more who are
living currently in Haiti who can put in place a
democratic regime.
For instance, the former Haitian army had some good
folks who were doing their job: General Abraham, I
still call him general and he is a general. Commander
Raoul Guillaume and Ramice Saint-vil of Ouanaminthe, I
still call them as they suppose to be called and when
Haiti is ready to put in place some structure they
have to call these folks and many more. Despite what
you heard about the Police National, there are some
good officers who are doing their job.
It is the same thing in the US, Canada, France, and so
on, you expect some bad apples everywhere. Police
brutality is common in the U.S., lately you saw a
police officer slammed a small boy on the police
patrol automobile and the Jury found him not guilty
this is Bachelor in Sciences at its best. Rodney King
saga, Mr. Raymond a Haitian immigrant was killed in NY
and they released his juvenile record, which is
illegal and so on. Drug disappeared in the police
precinct in Miami and many other places, police set up
people. Clearly there is no difference between police
officers in Haiti and the United States. There are
plenty of good one and a bunch of rotten apples
everywhere.
This is another story
Haiti is an independent country in the world of
nations, it is a member of the United Nations, the OAS
and the Caricom; therefore, it would be in Haiti best
interest to respect the international norm.

In 1991, after the coup de force against a citing
president, the United Nation voted to return that
president to power. It took three years, but it was
done. After the 2000 congressional election, there
were negotiation to remedy the situation and OAS voted
resolution 822 that was accepted by the current
Haitian government, the Convergence and the opposition
and that resolution had set some guidelines to
organize this upcoming election.

Pretty soon, the Haitian saga may spin out of control
and organizing an election outside 822 may spell
trouble. And this can lead to unintended consequences.

47 days to go before the Bicentennial and some folks
may see Janvier avant Noël (Ayiti ti peyi gro peyi, se
mache sou trez pa pile katoz; drapo monte, drapo
dezan-n; ki jen ou pral mache pou ou ka al lakay ou,
jean ou te vini an fre-o)

Democracy works when people pay attention and
establishing a democratic system in Haiti with this
high level of illiterate may be tough. Even the United
States is not a democratic country but a
representative republic where the person who is going
to be the president is controlled by a few. The
founding father of the U.S. constitution did not want
the people to vote directly for the president and to
prevent it they put in place the Electoral College.
These folks after the election can vote for anyone and
it is legal. The Californians voted last October Mr.
Arnold an immigrant to replace Mr. Davis and it is
legal.

Haiti has its laws and we must respect them and at the
same time Haiti must respect international law and
international agreement. Charles Taylor from Liberia
did the right thing and today he is enjoying a good
life in Nigeria and his native country is about to
restart again.
Today, the Haitian crisis is spinning out of control
at any given moment we can see the “Inevitable” taking
place in the land of Toussaint Louverture. Haiti is
reliving all over again the pre-1986 period.  And this
time, it will be worst. Why? In 1986, the religious
leaders could have exerted their influence and ask
these folks to stop, now who is going to stop them.
Manman Pititi se mare van-t.
2 weeks ago Panama celebrated its centennial with
firework show and more than 500 millions were added to
its economy; from 1973 to 1975 the US economy was
diving and the country was divided, the Americans used
the Bicentennial to bring their country together and
jumpstart their economy. In 47 days, Haitians are
going to celebrate their 200 years of Freedom …  Today
we see the power of personnel interest
My fellow Haitian brothers and sisters, you are the
product of a Union; today, you can see what division
can do and you are about to live it in 47 days. We can
spend our time blaming the whole world but if we do
not organize ourselves, put some structures in place
we will celebrate our 300 years like today. Go back
and read or reread the famous speech of Dr. Rosalvo
Bobo during the centennial of Haiti.

Joseph Alfred, Educator
PO BOX 334
Smyrna, GA 30081