17306: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Honduras blanks Haiti :-( (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, Nov. 17, 2003

SOCCER
Honduras blanks Haiti
Quieting the partisan crowd out of the match with an early goal, Honduras
holds on. The teams will face each other again Wednesday.
BY SANTOS A. PEREZ
sperez@herald.com

The hordes of loyal followers who usually occupy the Orange Bowl when
Honduras appears for international matches were absent Sunday night.

Yet for the fraction of Honduran fans who did show up, midfielder Emil
Martinez provided them with an early thrill.

Martinez's goal four minutes into the match was all the scoring Honduras
needed in a 1-0 victory over Haiti before a predominantly Haitian crowd of
18,280 in a CONCACAF Olympic qualifier.

The victory moves Honduras closer to the final round of qualifiers next
February in Mexico and an eventual berth in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.
Honduras and Haiti play the second of their home and home qualifier
Wednesday in Honduras.

''We took the first step but now comes the most difficult one,'' Honduras
coach Edwin Pavon said. ``The coin is still up in the air. We expect Haiti
to be ready Wednesday.''

QUICK START

Sunday night, Honduras was ready, and immediate pressure on the Haitian
defense resulted in Martinez's early goal.

Honduras' Wilson Palacios dribbled unmarked inside the penalty box area and
centered a pass back to Martinez, who sent it to Alex Andino deeper in the
box area.

Andino touched it back to Martinez, whose left-footed blast from 12 yards
landed inside the right post, beating Haiti goalkeeper Fenelon Gabard.

''We knew we were playing a tough team which had the crowd's support,''
Andino said. ``The importance of this game was achieving a positive result
outside of home. We accomplished it and will try to use this performance to
prepare us when we play Haiti in our home.''

`WE'LL BE READY'

Haiti certainly enjoyed its home support and was not dismayed by Martinez's
quick strike.

In fact, Haiti controlled the action in the first half, but had trouble
finishing plays.

Haiti's best opportunity at tying the match in the first half was Jean
Michael Boucicart's shot around the six-yard box hit the side of the net.

''We have to continue pushing forward,'' Haiti coach Carlos Marcelin said.
``Our team will be ready for Wednesday. We know we have to be.''

Honduras continued to protect its lead in the second half, and again allowed
Haiti to manage the ball -- but without serious scoring chances.

In the 74th minute, Haiti's Jean-Jacques Pierre nearly caught Honduras off
guard when his 50-yard shot was stopped with a diving deflection by Honduras
goalkeeper Denis Escobar.

''We didn't want the atmosphere to affect us,'' Pavon said. ``You have to
credit Haiti. We knew from their performance against the United States last
month that they would be tough.

``The result of winning this series will mean [a tremendous boost] for our
nation. Every time you advance in this type of event, it lifts everyone.''

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!