17481: Feldman: Re: 17474: Fenkel: Jean Dominique Documentary to screen at Bicentennial Celebrations (fwd)

From: Janet  Feldman <kaippg@earthlink.net>

Dear David and All,
I thought I would post this to the listserv in case others could better comment on whether my suggestions would be feasible (about Fonkoze, the Haitian Art Society, and the AFSC in particular). I am so delighted to read about this wonderful film, and hope that it will be seen far and wide. I am wondering if this would be something which could be passed along word of mouth by Larry Kent and the Haitian Art Society, as many members must have their own networks to which they could send word. I have also heard that there might be one screening of the film at a local chapter of Fonkoze (in New York State, I think), and am wondering if that might be another possibility, ie to contact their HQ here, which I think is in DC, and arrange for showings at chapter locations. I know the people who head the local chapter in Rhode Island (in fact, we were talking about this film just a couple weeks ago!), and am sure they would be delighted to have it in this area (where I live). A Bicentennial exhibit is being planned for January in Providence, I believe, and in Boston there will be an exhibit at Boston College in February-March, to which I also have some connection so could pass the word along about that.  I will also suggest the American Friends Service Committee, with HQ in Philadelphia, as they do a lot of great work in Haiti, and may be doing something here to celebrate the Bicentennial.  Finally, I am thinking that there is a committee or some kind of organizational effort in the US which is serving as a national coordinator of sorts, though I will be most unhelpful by not remembering much about that (or even whether it covers the whole of the US or is just for one state!), and hope someone else can fill in the blanks which pass for my senior moments. I will try to come up with that info otherwise, and hope in any case that this is a start. With very best of luck and good wishes, and please be in touch if you would like to follow up on the Rhode Island and Boston activities in particular!

Janet Feldman
kaippg@earthlink.net