17767: Nlbo: Time for a Haitian Summit Here [in Boston]Boston Globe 1-4-04 (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

The following was published in the Boston Sunday Globe (p. 6 City Weekly
section) on January 4, 2004 , under the title
                Time for a Haitian Summit Here  [ in Boston]

    I would like to thank you for bringing Haitians’ concerns to the wider
public (“Pride and Prejudice,”City Weekly, Dec.14).   The disturbances that the
phrase “Kill all Haitians” in the video  "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City"
produced by Rockstar Games was well covered.

   However, I am concerned about the last paragraphs of your piece which
announced the gala celebration of Haiti’s independence on Jan. 1 with a suggested
donation of $65. As a Haitian who had been observing the degrading conditions
of Haiti’s social and political infrastructures and the fragmented Haitian
diasporic community, particularly Boston, I believe all celebrations should be
kept at a low profile.  Reflections and community building gatherings should
instead be highlighted.

    A topic such as  “January 1, 2004, A Point of Departure” could be a
framework for an interdisciplinary dialogue. A Bilingual intergenerational
community-building summit  that could be the first in Haitian history may be the
focus.  I am proposing a bilingual summit with Creole and English sessions, not
translations, as well as continuous community-building meetings throughout the
year in various Haitian settings, such as churches, schools,  and community
agencies.

   Miami had a community gathering last May. Atlanta is planning a national
convention in June. The Haitian students are planning a national conference in
April. Haitian-American Family of Long Island is sponsoring a bicentennial
reflection on Jan. 18, with a theme, “Haitian-Americans: A crossroad Between
Homeland and Home.”  The Catholic Community of New Jersey  also called for a
reflection day yesterday (January 3rd, 2004). What are we in Boston doing after the
glamorous party in Lombardo’s?

   I would like to hope that the Haitian community of  Boston will be the
next diasporic community to gather its three generations.

Nekita Lamour

P.S.  The Center of Haitian-American Family of Long Island is also an entity
of the Haitian Catholic Apostolate of the Rockville diocese. Maryse who is the
coordinator of the Haitian Apostolate is also the director of the Long Island
Family Center. The Long Island Haitian Apostolate was featured in August 2002
U.S Catholic issue.