17822: Severe reply to Ives/broadbased opposition (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

Hello all,
  The common assumption is that the opposition(convergence/184/democratic
platform/northern front/pick name insert here) doesn't want elections
because they would lose despite widespread dissatisfaction with Lavalas. To
that I say, perhaps that was true six weeks ago, before the incidents at the
University and the series of marches/strikes, but if it struck while the
iron was hot the opposition could take advantage of a historic opportunity.
Why doesn't the opposition organize on a national level in preparations for
a general election. They could ask the question a version of the question
Reagan asked in 1980, " Are you better of now than you were before Aristide
II?"  Offering the country the chance for better security, improved roads,
jobs, and security or more paralysis under Lavalas. Imagine it a political
campaign in Haiti based not on personalities, but on the fundamental steps
to move the whole country into a new century and real independence.

Why doesn't the opposition want elections?   It can't be the lack of money.
If there is one thing the opposition lacks it isn't money. Judging by two
days of strikes, if the big commerciantes are willing to turn away customers
for two days than they would be more than willing to bankroll a unified anti
Aristide slate and it could definitely count on USAID money under a
expanding democracy rubric. Imagine the the positive press coverage the
opposition candidates would get from Metropole, Radiovision 2000, and other
media outlets. There definitely isn't a shortage of organizations in the
opposition (group of 184 anyone?)

Aristide love or hate him is only a symptom of the deeper political malaise
we Haitians have managed to get ourselves. All factions say they are working
for the betterment of the patrie but when it comes time to prove it they
show how self interested their motives are. O.k. I'm going to say something
very unhaitian but can we COMPROMISE. Seriously, the country can not go on
for another two years like this until Aristide's term is over. Should Mr.
Aristide meet an early demise the country would erupt. Why can't we take the
Catholic Bishop's proposal or the OAS proposal as a start for negotiation?

                                                               Just a
frustrated Haitian,

          Constantin