17864: lyall on Ives on premier January (fwd)

From: j.daudi lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

The "opposition demonstrators" who wreaked havoc
are, no doubt, former lavalas havoc wreakers.
That is certainly the case in Gonaives. "armed
wing of the opposition" there is known by
everyone to be the de and re-mobilized gangs who
formerly burned houses for fanmi lavalas.

I tried to go downtown on 1 Jan. For fete timoun.
Thats what I am familiar with. Route Nazon was a
burning mess with rocks the size of breakbaskets.
This was in the afternoon after the battles had
subsided. We crept thru in my old jeep. Fancy new
Patrols with 'officiel' plaques were not welcome
there. "viv ayiti, aba aristide' was what was
called out to us as we soujourned slowly thru the
wreckage to granmeres house.

All of these poor people are hoodwinked by the
business class into betraying their own class
interests? I think that they have their own
reasons. Starvation is one.

There is no haitian rice available at all this
year. No one planted I was told. Perhaps an
inquiry into what the department of agriculture
is doing with all their shiny new cars would be
in order.

Most of haiti was NOT "peaceful and celebratory."
Most of haiti was hunkered down hoping the misery
will be over. Madanm is commenting on how there
are no marching bands this year.