17960: DeWind: FW: Michel Lamartiniere Honorat Jr. jailed in Haiti (fwd)

From: Kimberly De Wind <kim.dewind@iinet.net.au>

From: stanley honorat

hey, everyone.
following is a letter that my sister sent out regarding my brother Junior
who is currently in prison in port-au-prince.  a quick update to the
aforementioned letter is that Mayor Bloomberg subsequently cancelled his
trip due to continuing unrest in haiti.  secondly, both detainees were heard
by a judge on 1/14/03 and returned to jail while the "investigation"
continues.  however, the plight of both my brother and his driver remain
precarious, at best.
even if you are not an american citizen and you want to help, there are
several things you may do, including, but not limited to: 1-contacting your
own government, 2-contacting any human right's organization you may know of,
3-contacting the press, 4-forwarding this to anyone you think may be willing
to help, 5-keeping these two gentlemen in your thoughts and/or prayers.
feel free to contact me for any more information.
furthermore, keep in mind that these two are not the only ones illegally
detained. the list is long and exhaustive.  therefore, even if these two are
freed, the problem still remains and your assistance might help others in
need.
***************************
Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy mail and thank you in
advance for taking the time to forward the information enclosed to all
institutions, international organizations including the American Embassy in
Haiti. My cousin Gary Avin has suggested that those of you who are American
citizens contact your governors and/or congressmen to report what has been
going on in Haiti. Express your concern that democratic laws be respected in
a country where although you have no legal thighs you are still connected
through your respective families. Furthermore I have learned that Mayor
Bloomberg of NY may be planning a trip to Haiti this weekend, if anyone
knows a way to get in touch with his office please e-mail me or call me.

When calling, writing or e-mailing regarding Junior you must state that:

1-you are an american citizen, occupation, residence

2-connection with Junior

3-what you know of him, his life, his family, his upbringing

4-mention that although he is not a citizen of this land he was
educated here and attended high school and university in the
US...furthermore
he  has, through you all and because of his own experience here, a certain
attachment and fondness for this land whose laws and democratic ways he's
come to
admire.

5-talk about the facts as they are listed below:

FACTS:
On January 1st 2004 on his way home coming from a protest he and three
others were stopped by a police patrol and escorted in his car to the
Palace (Palais National) where he was interrogated. He then was taken to the
police department (Commissariat de Port-au-Prince) where he was
allowed his first phone call. On Sunday evening 01/04/04 he was interrogated
second time this time in the presence of one of his lawyers: Bernard Gousse.
On Tuesday 01/06/04 all three were taken to the Court for further
interrogation
and I assume for their arraignment. They were charged with:
-arson (incendie)
-destruction of police vehicles
-attack with weapons on peaceful crowds
After this two of the four were sent home and the two others were
taken to jail (Penitencier National)

Michel Lamartiniere Honorat Jr. (jail)
Maxo St Fleur (jail)
Frank Louba (sent home)
René-Louis Balmir (sent home)

Today has been 9 days since the arrest. We've contacted various
sources supposedly close to the government. The lawyers have argued wrongful
and illegal arrest and have asked for an early release on that
basis...NOTHING!!!
Those are young men who have made a choice to live in their country
and who
were exercising their legal and democratic rights to march and
protest.
Everything else that was said are just made-up charges and desperate
attempts of a government that has lost their credibility but that
still has power to terrorize and hurt innocent people.
My brother, your cousin, nephew, friend etc.. will not be a statistic

HERE ARE ALL THE PHONE/FAX #S TO THE AMERICAN EMBASSY IN HAITI AS WELL AS
E-MAIL ADDRESSES:

US EMBASSY
104 Rue Oswald Durand
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

PHONES: 509-223-7011, 6440, 6443, 6421, 6426, 6424, 6407, 7008, 0200
FAX: 509-223-9665

www.usembassystate.gov/haiti

acspap@state.gov

PLEASE FORWARD ALL INFORMATION OBTAINED TO:

CASSANDRA HONORAT
43 WELLINGTON ROAD
ELMONT, NY 11003

HOME: 516-358-2135