17969: Laleau: Re: 17950: Burnham: RE: 17943

From: NLaleau@aol.com

Dear Thor--the benefit of their "labor" is more that the foreigners learn
about
Haiti. Certainly there are more and better equipped Haitians to do the
work.
The same held true of many OAS/UN functions. we were supposed to lecture
Haitians on human rights. That was a joke, and I usually started group
discussions instead of lecturing when I was ordered to do a talk. Most of
us
spoke only rudimentary Creole or French at best and had limited knowledge
of
the sufferings of the people. Haitian human rights workers could have been
hired for this at a fraction of our  US$6000/month wages (OAS). How many
Haitian HR promoters could have been hired to give a more competent 2-hour
presentation with some of that money? And yes, I did speak up  at the time
my director about it.  --nancy laleau