19013: Esser: Recipe for disaster (fwd)

From: D. E s s e r <torx@joimail.com>

Ellen Ratner
Recipe for disaster

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

President Bush has stated his vision for the world is democracy. He
says, "Freedom is God's gift to man," and that freedom is the best
defense against terrorism. He has even staked his presidency on his
attempt to free Iraq.

The president's so-called "vision" is a bit far-sighted, as in he has
great vision when it comes to democratizing the Middle East – that
part of the world which happens to be loaded with the "God Given"
blessing of vast oil reserves. But his "near vision" is blurry, if
not completely blind when it comes to freedom for poor nations within
a row boat's ride to Florida.

Haiti is on the brink of a national and democratic disaster.
Democratically elected President Jean-Bertrand Aristide may be
overthrown before his term ends by the "political opposition" or
rebels. Both groups are making a grab for power. Many of these men
were responsible for the bloody coup that toppled his government and
resulted in 5,000 deaths the last time Haiti suffered from blurry
U.S. vision (under the first President Bush).

It is unclear whether the Bush administration wants "regime change"
or "a change in the regime." State Department spokesman Richard
Boucher told reporters last week, "We recognize that reaching a
political settlement will require some fairly thorough changes in the
way Haiti is governed – I think that could indeed involve changes in
Aristide's position." This was a clear message to the thugs, "Keep it
up boys. It's working."

Granted, Haiti is far from being a perfect democracy. The country of
8 million suffers from 70 percent unemployment, rampant poverty and
high crime. Law and order is supposed to be maintained by a ragtag
group of around 5,000 police. Compare this to New York City which has
a police force of over 40,000 and it's easy to see how Haiti's
lucrative coffee trade has been replaced by the drug trade.

Let us not forget, however, that President Aristide was legitimately
elected by the majority of the population. His term is not due to end
until 2006.

The United States had the right idea under the Clinton administration
when it restored Aristide to power in 1994. We stepped in with aid
and personnel to secure the nation and establish a new police force.
Great progress was made, in large part due to an international effort
to restore order and a viable economy in Haiti. The problems started
when we left too soon – a recurring theme in U.S. foreign policy.
Haiti fell back into the corrupt, non-transparent, have /have not,
cesspool patterns of the past with little foreign investment and
little hope.

So why, aside from the political eyesore of potentially thousands of
innocent deaths and a wave of political refugees, should the United
States intervene on behalf of a leader who seems to have fallen short
on his leadership ability? First, it's the rule of law. Like it or
not, Aristide was freely elected. Democracy is not something that
should be tried on like a new shirt and discarded if you don't like
the choice. To allow Aristide to fall while we are trying to
establish democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan is to say, the United
States wants democracy so long as our horse wins and does what we
tell it to.

Second, terrorism, the Bush mantra for Campaign 2004, is largely born
out of violence, despair, poverty, a sense of helplessness. It's only
a matter of time before Haiti becomes home to another one of the many
wannabe terrorist networks – and they'll be living in the president's
brother's backyard. Haiti already has an active drug trade to finance
operations. It's a perfect fit.

Third, it's the right thing to do. Haiti will completely implode if
Aristide is ousted. The best alternative to Aristide is a power
struggle between the rebels and the "political opposition." Many of
the men leading this coup have been on the usual suspect list of
murderers, thugs and criminals. What kind of life can we possibly
think will exist for the people of Haiti under their leadership? It's
no wonder thousands of Haitians protested in the streets on behalf of
Aristide. Aristide is willing to play ball with the United States,
but he needs our support.

Why are we willing to keep over 100,000 troops in Iraq, give the
Iraqis the shirt off our back – in hopes that they will give
democracy a chance and not fall into civil war – when, in our own
backyard, we have a democracy that is on the verge of civil war, and
we insist on sitting on the sidelines and letting the chips fall
where they may?

To say you have a vision is one thing, but to put your money and
force of law behind it is another. Unfortunately, like so many of
George W. Bush's pledges, talk is cheap except when it comes to
oil-rich nations needing to be democratized.

Ellen Ratner is the White House correspondent and bureau chief for
the Talk Radio News service. She is also Washington bureau chief and
political editor for Talkers Magazine. In addition, Ratner is a news
analyst at the Fox News Channel.
.