19278: Esser: Bush Fiddles As Haiti Struggles To Keep Democracy (fwd)

From: D. E s s e r <torx@joimail.com>

BET.com

Bush Fiddles As Haiti Struggles To Keep Democracy

By Emmanuel N. Jackson and Bill Alexander, BET.com Staff Writers

Posted February 26, 2004 – Restoring law and order in Haiti to
prevent a blood bath of Rwanda proportions should be America’s first
priority, a Congressional Black Caucus delegation told President Bush
Wednesday.

“We are not here to just ask the United States to help Haiti for
humanitarian reasons. We are here because the United States
government was actively involved in the creation of this crisis and
has an obligation to do something about it,” said Rep. Maxine Waters
(D-Calif.).:: AD ::

As the violence and carnage increased in the large cities, taking its
toll on innocent citizens of the Caribbean nation, CBC members,
visiting the White House, urged Bush to have the United States call
for a cease-fire, step up humanitarian efforts and to protect the
democracy that elected Haitian President John Bertrand-Aristide.

Waters said only a “small number” of U.S. troops were necessary to
bolster President Jean-Bertrand Aristide’s dwindling ragtag band of
police officers fighting off an array of rebel forces.  Aristide has
no military forces to defend his government, because they were
disbanded in 1994.

Aristide is now being pressured to leave by France, a former colonial
overlord that was run out of the country by General Toussaint
L’ouverture in 1804.

Waters said at a news conference that this is part of “an
orchestrated action” fashioned by Assistant Secretary of State Robert
Noreiga, the former chief of staff for former North Carolina
Republican Sen. Jesse Helms.

“He met with diplomats from other countries a year ago to plan this.
The simple truth is he wants Aristide out, and France will apply the
pressure.

“Aristide has accepted the Bush administration’s proposal of a shared
government,” added Waters, “it was the terrorist opposition whom we
finance that turned it down.”

Waters said she was introducing a resolution in Congress condemning
the violent activities of “thugs and former members of the Haitian
military” and requesting intervention by “our government and the
international community.”

She said she was “absolutely stunned” at the president’s strong
remarks regarding the interdicting of Haitian refugees in boats
headed to Florida. Bush said there would be a “strong presence” of
American military to return Haitians to their “own” country. He
admonished the Haitians to “stay home.”

“ This is not about we’re worried the Haitians will drown…this is
about we don’t want you in Florida,” said Waters on cable TV
interviews today.

At her press conference, Waters detailed how the United States took
part with the Inter-American Development Bank in approving $145.9
million to fund health, basic education, rural road development,
potable water and sanitation programs in Haiti --but America dragged
its feet. Another $400 million slated for the country’s
infrastructure is being frozen by Noreiga and the Bush administration.

During the meeting with the CBC, National Security Adviser Condoleeza
Rice emphasized the administration's hopes for a political framework
that “could lead to a peace accord,” while Secretary of State Colin
Powell said “now is not the time” for military intervention, adding
“we're just as concerned about the loss of human life as you are.”

Bush said he would “think about” the CBC recommendations.

While in Libya, Rev. Jesse Jackson contacted members of Congress and
also criticized the Bush administration’s Haitian policy.

“It is clear that the right wing in this country does not support
that democracy,” Jackson told The Associated Press . “The president
is, in fact, supporting overthrow of this government.”
.