19618: Simidor: Haitian crisis not over (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

 The Haitian community is very troubled by the circumstances of Aristide’s
 departure.  Was Mr. Aristide, the president of Haiti, at any point in
 handcuffs?  Is he really under house arrest in Bangui?  Or did he
 actually call US Ambassador James Foley for help Saturday night?  Did he
 ask for time to pack, and did he sign a resignation letter in front of
 six witnesses?

 If indeed Mr. Aristide left the palace in handcuffs, then he was
 kidnapped by a hostile foreign power and remains Haiti’s president even
 in exile.  In that case, I who called for his resignation would feel duty
 bound to fight for his return.

 If it is true that Mr. Aristide is dissembling as usual, who were the six
 witnesses mentioned above?  If he did resign “to avoid a bloodbath,” why
 didn’t he address the nation to signal his intention?  Why this
 unnecessary flight in the middle of the night?

 Alternately, if the president left of his own free will to keep one step
 ahead of the bogeyman in the North, then I say let him enjoy his golden
 exile, and let's try to move the country forward?

 P.S.  Haiti doesn’t need another US solution to its problems.  Haiti has
 been experimenting with US solutions for almost 100 years, and one thing
 we know for sure: they don’t work.

Daniel Simidor