20040: (Chamberlain) Aristide urges peaceful resistance to "occupation" (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Andrew Gray

     BANGUI, March 8 (Reuters) - Ousted Haitian leader Jean-Bertrand
Aristide appealed from exile in Africa on Monday for peaceful resistance to
what he called the "occupation" of Haiti and repeated a claim he was
kidnapped by U.S. forces.
     Appearing for the first time in public since his arrival in Central
African Republic a week ago, Aristide insisted he was abducted from his
homeland, which the United States has denied.
     "The fact is there was a political abduction," Aristide told reporters
in the Central African capital Bangui, flanked by his wife and Central
African Republic's foreign minister.
     "This unfortunately has paved the way for occupation and ... we launch
an appeal for peaceful resistance (in Haiti)," said Aristide, looking
composed in a dark blue suit. "I'm choosing my words carefully: for a
peaceful resistance."
     Facing a bloody rebellion and international pressure, Aristide left
his impoverished Caribbean nation on February 29. U.S. Marines are leading
an international peace mission in Haiti approved by the United Nations to
restore order after days of looting and shooting following his flight into
exile.
     Aristide's comments came the day after suspected supporters of the
exiled leader sprayed gunfire into a crowd of thousands of jubilant
revellers celebrating his downfall, killing at least six and wounding 18.
     Aristide, a former Roman Catholic priest, became a champion of Haiti's
impoverished masses when he helped overthrow the brutal Duvalier family
dictatorship in 1986. He said his ouster was unconstitutional.
     "I am the elected president and I remain the elected president," said
Aristide, sitting on a red armchair. "I am pleading for the restoration of
democracy."
     Central African authorities have expressed annoyance that Aristide has
repeatedly accused the United States of kidnapping him. The news conference
appeared to be an effort to quash reports that he was being held a virtual
prisoner by his hosts.
     Aristide said he had never been a prisoner in Central African Republic
but claimed he had been held captive in Haiti's capital on the February 28
and 29, prior to being jetted to the former French colony.
     He brushed off questions about his ultimate destination saying the
important thing was to keep calling for the restoration of democratic rule
in the poor Caribbean nation.
     South Africa, which has backed Aristide in the past, said last week it
would consider any official request for asylum.