20139: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Editorial-Targeting journalists (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Tue, Mar. 09, 2004

Targeting journalists

OUR OPINION: DISARM HAITI'S KILLERS

It's no secret that Haitian journalists have been the targets of a vicious
campaign of intimidation in recent years. Dozens have been attacked, several
killed. Now, the fatal shooting of a Spanish journalist and the wounding of
a Florida newspaper photographer in the same incident on Sunday signal that
it's open season on foreign journalists as well.

This brazen criminal violence lends a new measure of urgency to the task of
restoring order. For the U.S. and other foreign peacekeepers in Haiti, the
killings mean more vigilance will be required to maintain peace.

Haiti's people are not the enemy, but the cowardly gunmen who hide in their
midst must be identified, disarmed and jailed at once. We join the Inter
American Press Association in calling for an investigation into the campaign
against journalists, and we extend condolences to the families of the
victims.

Create a Job Alert on MSN Careers and enter for a chance to win $1000!
http://msn.careerbuilder.com/promo/kaday.htm?siteid=CBMSN_1K&sc_extcmp=JS_JASweep_MSNHotm2