20229: radtimes: San Francisco Labor Council on Haiti (fwd)

From: radtimes <resist@best.com>

San Francisco Labor Council on Haiti

March 8, 2004

RESTORE THE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED PRESIDENT OF HAITI - INVESTIGATE
THE U.S. ROLE IN THE COUP

We applaud and support the actions of Representatives Barbara Lee,
Maxine Waters, and other members of the Congressional Black Caucus in
calling for a Congressional investigation into the U.S. role in the
coup that forced Jean-Bertrand Aristide out of office.

We call for an investigation into last year's shipping of 20,000 M-16
rifles to the Dominican Republic by the U.S. military, and into how
these weapons got into the hands of the thugs who overthrew Aristide.

We call on the state AFL-CIO, labor councils, local and international
unions to:
a) demand an investigation into the Bush administration's role in the
coup against Aristide;
b) demand the immediate release of Aristide and his recognition and
restoration as the democratically elected President of Haiti.

- Adopted by unanimous vote of the San Francisco Labor Council, AFL-
CIO - March 8, 2004