20339: LeGrace reRE: 19830: (Chamberlain) re 19821 Vander-Zaag, Orenstein (fwd)

From: Legrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

About a year and a half ago, I posted a note on this list to the effect that
the American Ambassador, speaking at the Consulate in Cap Haitien (Ma Jolie
Hotel) had noted a substantial aid amount given in Haiti. I do not recall
the amount. It may have been the 3.2 million mentioned in these postings or
something close to that. The Ambassador said the aid was going to "various
organizations, but not directly to the government."  Upon my return to the
US, I attempted to get break-out figures that would tell, in general, where
the aid was going.  I was unable to get the figures from the State
Department.  I asked my Congressman's office to help me find out.  They
worked on it for about two weeks.  They reported back that they were sorry
to say they had been unsuccessful in getting descriptive figures.  In Haiti
I had encountered organizations claiming to have received some aid. They
included some schools, orphanages, and hospitals.

The failure to get a break-out description may be a result of not having
asked the right question to the right person. However, it should not have
been so hard. The information should have been readily available to any
citizen or legal resident. As a person with a strict sense of separation of
church and state (not as strict as Jacques Chirac, but strict) I puzzled
over the implications of the money going to religious organizations.  The
donations may have come with certain assurances that the money would not be
used for "religious purposes."

Mr Vander-Zaag, I for one would be "keen" to know how my tax dollars get
spent in Haiti. Flashy clothing and cars trouble my mind less than obscure
political and cultural blandishments.