20358: (Hermantin)Sun-Sentinel- U.S. salvages last-minute tie (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

U.S. salvages last-minute tie

By Jeff Rusnak
special correspondent
Posted March 14 2004

MIAMI · As if Haitians don't have enough heartbreak already, United States
defender Danny Califf gave the beleaguered nation a little more last night
at the Orange Bowl.

Seconds away from giving its country something to celebrate, Haiti's
national soccer team allowed a goal by Califf in stoppage time, in the 94th
minute, and ended with a 1-1 tie before 8,714 fans. Both teams were
disappointed by the result, Haiti for what could have been and the United
States for a performance that lacked cohesion and spirit.

Haiti lacked neither purpose nor unity. Coach Fernando Clavijo's team
outshot the Americans 16-10 and took a 1-0 lead in the 69th minute on a
spectacular strike by Alexander Boucicot.

It was a small crowd by Haitian standards, but the Orange Bowl has rarely
seen a happier one than the one that cheered Boucicot's goal.

The joy turned to mere satisfaction after Califf, a late sub, chested a
Carlos Bocanegra cross into the net.

"It sounds like a defeat," Clavijo said. "I thought we had the game won."

Haitian midfielder Mac Herold Gracien, who came on after Boucicot's goal to
help preserve the lead, said the excitement of nearly beating the heavily
favored Americans was punctured with Califf's shot.

"I didn't know what to feel," Gracien said. "It's like the world came to an
end. I'm so sad."

United States coach Bruce Arena said his team was fortunate to come away
with a draw.

"I thought Haiti was the better team," Arena said. "They simply outfought us
for 90 minutes. They had a greater desire to play and a greater passion. Our
group that played the last 15 minutes, I applaude them for scrapping and
fighting for an equalizer."

Arena had 16 MLS players and two from Europe on his roster. Right back Tony
Sanneh made his first appearance for the U.S. team since December 2002,
playing the first half. It was also Sanneh's first competitive match of any
kind in 15 months since he was sidelined with a back injury at his German
Club F.C. Nurnberg.

Goalkeeper Jonny Walker got his second start, forward John Wolyniec his
first. Of the two, Walker made the better impression during a scoreless
first half.

Walker made two acrobatic saves on shots in tight space to Johnny
Descollines in the first half. In the 20th minute, Descollines got around
Bocanegra and forced Walker to parry a line drive taken from a sharp angle.
Eleven minutes later, Descollines got behind the U.S. defense but was
thwarted on a kick save by Walker.

Haiti captain Bruny Pierre-Richard headed a corner kick past Walker in the
34th minute, but the goal was disallowed when the defender was whistled for
climbing over Bocanegra on the shot.

"I've been fined before, so I have to be careful what I say, but I did not
see any foul," said Clavijo, who was unhappy that a Jamaican, Peter
Pendergrast, refereed the match. Haiti plays Jamaica in a World Cup
qualifier in June.

The Americans' best first-half chance came in stoppage time when a Cory
Gibbs header was cleared off the goal line by Wadson Coriolan.

Kevin Hartman replaced Walker to start the second half. In the 67th minute,
Boucicot tested the keeper when he fired a shot over the bar from 15 yards.
His aim was true two minutes later, however when he ran on to a diagonal
pass from Coriolin and beat Hartman with a powerful shot from 15 yards.

Boucicot forced Hartman to punch away another fierce attempt in the 80th
minute. Haiti goalkeeper Fenelon Gabard preserved the result for awhile with
two diving saves. Gabard deflected a Jovan Kirovski shot wide of the post in
the 84th minute. On the ensuing corner kick Gabard got a fingertip on a
glancing header by Ante Razov.

Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
$29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/